Nvidia: Unable to resume from suspend with propietary driver, unable to use graphics card with open source driver

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
samrux

Nvidia: Unable to resume from suspend with propietary driver, unable to use graphics card with open source driver

Post by samrux »

After a fresh install of Linux Mint (18.3) I hoped I wouldn't encounter this problem again.

I switched to using the proprietary Nvidia driver (nvidia-384) in the Driver Manager, but this brought the issue where the OS is unable to resume after Suspension (and I assume Hibernation too, by extension), showing me a single line in the top left corner:

Code: Select all

[  245.390779] rtc_cmos 00:01: Alarms can be up to one month in the future
The only possible action to take from there is to hold the power button so that the laptop shuts down. It's particularly a problem as closing the lid suspends and gives the same result, and I have no intention to disable suspension altogether as this laptop has terrible battery life.

I looked up the above message on Google, and all relevant solutions pointed to the following thread: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/969433
Where I followed the listed steps:
1. In /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/10-vendor.d/com.ubuntu.desktop.pkla , set ResultAction to yes for [Disable hibernate by default in upower] and [Disable hibernate by default in logind]
2. In /etc/default/grub , set GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nvidia-drm.modeset=1 vga=0 rdblacklist=nouveau nouveau.modeset=0"
3. In /etc/initramfs-tools/modules added the following lines:

nvidia
nvidia_modeset
nvidia_uvm
nvidia_drm
4. Did sudo update-initramfs -u
5. Rebooted

This didn't have any effect and the problem persisted.

Defeated, I reverted all of those changes and then switched back to the open-source noveau driver. After restarting I now had an icon in the bottom right corner saying "Active graphics card: unknown". Clicking it leads me to the Nvidia X Server Settings, where the integrated Intel card is selected instead. If I try to switch to the Nvidia card, an empty error message appears.
And now, if I return to the proprietary driver, the icon is still present (while it wasn't the first time), and I can "switch" to the Nvidia card, but it doesn't ever apply and it reverts back to the Intel card.

Summing up: Now I'm completely locked out of using my Nvidia card.

inxi -F

System:    Host: Mint-Samuel Kernel: 4.13.0-43-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: ASUSTeK (portable) product: X542UQ v: 1.0
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X542UQ v: 1.0 Bios: American Megatrends v: X542UQ.301 date: 09/29/2017
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i7-7500U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB 
           clock speeds: max: 3500 MHz 1: 800 MHz 2: 800 MHz 3: 800 MHz 4: 800 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Device 5916
           Card-2: NVIDIA GM108M [GeForce 940MX]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 620 (Kaby Lake GT2) GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8
Audio:     Card Intel Device 9d71 driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA v: k4.13.0-43-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
           IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: 18:31:bf:1e:dd:2c
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k
           IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: 70:c9:4e:06:45:95
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (5.6% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: HGST_HTS541010B7 size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 202G used: 37G (20%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 17.00GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 34.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 225 Uptime: 30 min Memory: 1523.6/11892.6MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35 
As you can see the nouveau driver shows up as "FAILED"
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ajgringo619

Re: Nvidia: Unable to resume from suspend with propietary driver, unable to use graphics card with open source driver

Post by ajgringo619 »

Which kernel are you using? I too recently reinstalled my system with Mint (kernel 4.13.0-43). I waited until after I installed & updated everything (I also imaged my system with Clonezilla just to be safe), then I switched to the Nvidia drivers. So far, so good - even my VMWare Player Windows 7 VM is working great with 3D acceleration (not possible with the nouveau driver). I use suspend all the time; never tried hibernate.
samrux

Re: Nvidia: Unable to resume from suspend with propietary driver, unable to use graphics card with open source driver

Post by samrux »

ajgringo619 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:57 pm Which kernel are you using? I too recently reinstalled my system with Mint (kernel 4.13.0-43). I waited until after I installed & updated everything (I also imaged my system with Clonezilla just to be safe), then I switched to the Nvidia drivers. So far, so good - even my VMWare Player Windows 7 VM is working great with 3D acceleration (not possible with the nouveau driver). I use suspend all the time; never tried hibernate.
Hey thanks for the reply, I'm also using kernel 4.13.0-43. The card is a GeForce 940MX (which isn't very good but still much better than an integrated card), which one are you using?

I've seen Asus computers (my laptop is Asus) come up a lot when searching for my issues on Google, so I wonder if it could be related too. If anyone has/doesn't have this problem and is/is not using an Asus, please tell
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Got the 960; it's an inherited computer that I haven't bothered to upgrade (besides more memory). I've only had issues with the later kernels and the 390.48 drivers.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

samrux wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:24 pm And now, if I return to the proprietary driver, the icon is still present (while it wasn't the first time), and I can "switch" to the Nvidia card, but it doesn't ever apply and it reverts back to the Intel card.

Summing up: Now I'm completely locked out of using my Nvidia card.

Use this command and post the output to verify which video driver is actually loading:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log |egrep -i "nvidia|nouveau"
Also, use this command:

ls /etc/modprobe.d

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”