AMD Radeon HD 4650 freezes; buying a new Graphics Card?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Thomsterdam
Level 1
Level 1

AMD Radeon HD 4650 freezes; buying a new Graphics Card?

Post by Thomsterdam »

Hi there,
At times, usually when I am playing a video on my desktop pc, the pc freezes: the screen turns black, comes back to life, but I cannot move mouse or use keyboard to do anything. So I need to do a hard reboot. It's my impression that it is the video card that is at fault: it is an (old) AMD Radeon HD 4650 and I find info that AMD graphics cards don't work well with Linux.

Is there anything I can do to improve things? Is this a AMD problem that won't go away? Or might it have a totally different cause?
If I can't change things, I would like any advice on buying a new graphics card. Which ones are fully Linux Mint 18.3 compatible on a reasonable budget (€100 or €150 max (USD 120-USD 180 max))?

FYI: I use the dual boot (Linux 18/Windows 7) pc for work on the internet (web design/development), with graphical editing programs, I use VirtualBox for a Windows 7 machine to run PhotoShop and other Adobe programs like Adobe InDesign, etc.

Thanx,

Thom

System:
Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit
Cinnamon 3.6.6
Linux system: 4.4.0-116 generic
Processor Intel Core i7 CPY 920 @2.67GHz x 4
Memory: 9.8 GiB
Hard drive: 3939.4 GB
Graphics: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV730 PRO [Radeon HD 4650] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
2 x 24 inch screens.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: AMD Radeon HD 4650 freezes; buying a new Graphics Card?

Post by deepakdeshp »

THis is a database of Linux Mint compatible machines. You could select the machine and check the graphics card and its cost in that machine
https://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: AMD Radeon HD 4650 freezes; buying a new Graphics Card?

Post by Hoser Rob »

The AMD 4650 is a 10 year old card and isn't the best for Cinnamon. It's also a legacy card and so there are no Linux drivers available except the open source one you';d be using. Copy/paste this to the termnal and copy/paste the text output here for better system info though:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Your kernel version may be a little old in general, though newer kernels don't generally fix old hardware issues you should follow the steps for 18.3 in the first post here:

viewtopic.php?f=90&p=1412167#p1412167

If you can get a new graphics card that'd be a lot better than a legacy AMD card. A cheap Nvidia card would be best. One of those discount chains that have last year's model is ideal because Linux support is slower for new hardware.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”