NVIDIA NVS 810 only uses 4 out of 8 monitors

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
EdDowgiallo

NVIDIA NVS 810 only uses 4 out of 8 monitors

Post by EdDowgiallo »

I did the following install:
Normal install of Linux Mint Cinammon 18.3
apt update
apt dist-upgrade
Disabled nouveau display driver
Installed NVIDIA Linux 390.59 driver
ran nvidia-xconfig
reboot

4 monitors are working normally and 4 are black screens.

NVIDIA support says this is a windows display manager issue with Linux Mint and recommends that I keep trying different windows display managers until I find one that works.

I have asked them to supply me with a Linux configuration that they know works and am waiting for a reply from the QA group in India as support does not have that information.

I would greatly appreciate if someone could help me configure the NVIDIA NVS 810 or recommend an alternate hardware solution for 8 monitors.

Thank you,
Ed
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bartszu
Level 4
Level 4

Re: NVIDIA NVS 810 only uses 4 out of 8 monitors

Post by bartszu »

Unfortunately NVidia and Linux are'nt great combination.
You need to use their setting tool with thier drivers.
Selection_148.jpg
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Re: NVIDIA NVS 810 only uses 4 out of 8 monitors

Post by roblm »

User pp123a12 in this topic in the Nvidia Linux Graphics Forum was able to get all 8 displays working on his NVS 810, using Nvidia's Base Mosaic technology:
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi ... u-16-04-1/

From what I've read, the configuration file that's needed for this can't be created through the Nvidia Settings utility. It has to be done manually, but getting reliable updated info can be difficult. I would suggest first trying to use Nvidia Settings. Open it to the X Server Display Configuration page and click the Advanced button. The Enable Base Mosaic option should now be visible, so mark the checkbox. Click Save to X Configuration File. Since there is an existing xorg.conf file, then it should show next to Browse. The checkbox next to Merge with existing file should be marked. Log out and back in. If there is a problem getting back to the desktop, then press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to enter the virtual console tty1. Login and then type this command to remove the xorg.conf file:

Code: Select all

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Then type: sudo reboot

If that method doesn't work, then a manual configuration could be attempted.

Also, I noticed that you used the command apt dist-upgrade. That's not recommended by most knowledgeable people on these forums. The Update Manager should be used for updating. Read the info in this link:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=175388

However, some users say it is safe to do:
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=233306&hilit=dist+upgrade#p1238078

I personally never use that command.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”