Problem changing from Radeon card

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
paul59

Problem changing from Radeon card

Post by paul59 »

I've been running two desktop computers in recent years, a Windows machine purely for gaming and my a Mint machine for everything else. I decided it was time to wipe the more powerful Windows machine and install Mint 18.3, so I now have one machine for everything. I'm quite happy with it except for a few graphics issues. I should point out that I don't play any recent or graphically demanding games - the graphics from the machine when running Windows was quite adequate for me.

The problems I've encountered are:
  • Occasional multi-colored noise background when starting or resuming from screensaver.
  • Refusal to run a few games Linux native games
  • Failure to restore the correct resolution after exiting (a couple of) games that otherwise run properly
The computer is a Core i7 @ 3.6GHz with 12GB RAM fitted with a Radeon R7 240. Since that card isn't listed in the post at the top of this forum section, I'm not going to try installing the proprietary AMD drivers!

The card in my other PC is labelled HD6450, with no other maker ID except an Intel logo (although Google suggests it may also be a Radeon card), so I decided to try this card instead of the R7.

I get the Mint logo during boot but the machine hangs at a black screen with a cursor flashing at top left. I've tried using left shift or escape during boot to access Grub but neither works. Oddly, the usual BIOS screen doesn't appear at all when this card is fitted. There's probably a log file that might tell me what's wrong but I'm afraid I have no idea where to look or what to look for.

Can anyone suggest how to proceed or whether this HD6450 is likely to be as problematic as the R7? Alternatively, I'd be happy to receive suggestions for a (UK) budget card that will fit in my machine - PCI express 3 with no room for 'long' or 'fat' cards - and be more compatible with Linux.

Thanks in advance :D

Paul
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Problem changing from Radeon card

Post by JerryF »

Help us so that we can help you.

Please read this section found on the front page of the Board (especially #5:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444
paul59

Re: Problem changing from Radeon card

Post by paul59 »

JerryF wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 4:45 pm Help us so that we can help you.

Please read this section found on the front page of the Board (especially #5:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444
Well, with the R7 there are no error messages just graphical glitches. When I replace it with the HD6450 I just get a black screen rather than the desktop. I'm using MATE 64 bit. Here's the output of inxi -Fxz without either card installed (I've temporarily removed the Radeon card and am relying on the on-board graphics so not sure how much use that will be):

Code: Select all

System:    Host: Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.13.0-43-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: MATE 1.18.0 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   Mobo: Acer model: Aspire TC-705
           Bios: American Megatrends v: P11-B1 date: 08/07/2014
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-4790 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 28736
           clock speeds: max: 4000 MHz 1: 948 MHz 2: 1709 MHz 3: 1954 MHz
           4: 1804 MHz 5: 1836 MHz 6: 1630 MHz 7: 1848 MHz 8: 1670 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Desktop
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8 Direct Rendering: Yes
Thanks for looking :D

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”