How to adjust monitor brightness in Linux (GNU) Mint on Sony notebook VAIO VPCEH (Nvidia GeForce 410M)?

Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Spiker01
Level 1
Level 1

How to adjust monitor brightness in Linux (GNU) Mint on Sony notebook VAIO VPCEH (Nvidia GeForce 410M)?

Post by Spiker01 »

How to adjust monitor brightness in Linux (GNU) Mint on Sony VAIO VPCEH (Nvidia GeForce 410M)?

Greetings to all. I do not speak English very well, but I hope you understand me.

The brightness adjustment on the Sony VAIO VPCEH does not work. OS Linux Mint, video card NVidia Geforce 410M.
Console output:

Code: Select all

$ uname -a
Linux SpSystem 4.10.0-38-generic # 42 ~ 16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 10 16:32:20 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU / Linux.
Tried and free drivers and "pro-proprietary" from the driver manager Cinnamon, does not work. The brightness of the backlight from the keyboard is not adjustable. In this case, the "splash" of the brightness change itself appears and its values ​​change, the brightness of the monitor does not change. Command

$ ls/sys/class/backlight/
acpi_video0 
(On the proprietary NVidia driver)
on free issues, something like:

nv blacklight
Installed xbacklight.
The xset led "value" command does not change anything, the xbacklight -set "value" command does not change either. The monitor is on full power. I climbed to / usr / share / X11, but did not change anything there. I read the instruction on Habr https: // habr.com/post/236353/, but there is an example for the "video card" of Intel, and I have Nvidia, I think it would not work. For example, there is a file called /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf, but I do not have "20" files in this directory at all and it's not clear what "20" means, after all each file in this directory starts with a number, for example: 10-amdgpu.conf; 51-synaptics-quirks.conf and so on. The video is most likely determined by me, the picture is there, the hot buttons work - the pop-up screensaver is shown and changed, but the brightness itself does not change. A laptop is working, I need information on it, but I always look at the monitor that shines on the whole not very "hunting" either.

Also I found on the Internet that I need to create a file
usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia-brightness.conf
and there add

Section "Device" Identifier "Device0" Driver "nvidia" VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation" BoardName "BoardName" Option "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl = 1" EndSection
But here's what I write in Identifier and in BoardName I do not quite understand. I do not want to revamp it one more time. I have a desire to make the laptop work after reboot.

Conclusion

~ $ sudo lspci -v -s 01: 00.0
01: 00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF119M [GeForce 410M] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: Sony Corporation GF119M [GeForce 410M]
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 30
Memory at d2000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size = 16M]
Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size = 256M]
Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size = 32M]
I / O ports at 4000 [size = 128]
[virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size = 128K]
Capabilities: [60] Power Management version 3
Capabilities: [68] MSI: Enable + Count = 1/1 Maskable-64bit +
Capabilities: [78] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [b4] Vendor Specific Information: Len = 14 <?>
Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
Capabilities: [128] Power Budgeting <?>
Capabilities: [600] Vendor Specific Information: ID = 0001 Rev = 1 Len = 024 <?>
Kernel driver in use: nvidia
Kernel modules: nvidiafb, nouveau, nvidia_384_drm, nvidia_384.

$ ls /sys /class/backlight
acpi_video0
Question: How can I adjust the light of the screen and how to configure it to change from the keyboard? From itself it is ready to give practically any configs, a conclusion of various commands.

Thank you for watching this.

acerimusdux
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to adjust monitor brightness in Linux (GNU) Mint on Sony notebook VAIO VPCEH (Nvidia GeForce 410M)?

Post by acerimusdux »

Try the instructions here:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/472850/ ... aio#514396

It looks like this should be right for your machine:

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce 410M"
    Option         "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
EndSection
As for the file name, the number in front just determines the order in which they load. Otherwise, it's not really picky about which name is used.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”