Nvidia - KDE and tearing

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
steveblezy

Nvidia - KDE and tearing

Post by steveblezy »

Hello, just looking for a little information if it is available. It is in regards to the video tearing with Nvidia and KDE.

I am currently running Mint Sylvia KDE and have the nvidia proprietary drivers installed. The card is a K2000m in a dell M4700.The drivers are the latest396. In the past I have tried a few different Nvidia drivers and they all seem to have the same issue with video tearing. After countless hours of searching on the internet regarding this topic and trying countless things, I have found nothing that seems to work.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It is not a "deal breaker" but damn,it would be nice to find a solution for this issue. Any info would be helpful.

Steve
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Nvidia - KDE and tearing

Post by catweazel »

steveblezy wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:39 pm Does anyone have any suggestions?
First, try this: viewtopic.php?t=129879

Post back if you still have tearing.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
steveblezy

Post by steveblezy »

Well, i gave that a try. I added the line
Option "RegistryDwords" "PowerMizerEnable=0x1; PerfLevelSrc=0x2222; PowerMizerDefaultAC=0x1"
to my already existing xorg.conf file and rebooted.
Under the powermizer tab, I am at performance level 1 (my options are level 0 or level 1)> letting the computer idle, it remains at level 1, but that did nothing for the video tearing. It is still there as it has always been. Kind looks like an issue of vertical sync to be honest.

Steve
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

The next step is to add { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On } to xorg.conf.

Find the "Screen" section and add it to the end of the Option "metamodes" ... line, like this:

Option "metamodes" "DVI-I-1: nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"

Save the changes and reboot. Note that your "metamodes" line will not look like the one above as that's from my setup.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
steveblezy

Post by steveblezy »

Ok, before I start, regarding the line
Option "metamodes" "DVI-I-1: nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"

Seeing that it is a laptop, do I still use "DVI-I-1" ???? or would it be something like X screen 0

Just curious.

Steve
steveblezy

Post by steveblezy »

here is a copy paste of my current xorg.conf

There is not section called "metamodes"

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "layout"
Screen 0 "nvidia"
Inactive "intel"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "intel"
Driver "modesetting"
BusID "PCI:0@0:2:0"
Option "AccelMethod" "None"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "intel"
Device "intel"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "nvidia"
Driver "nvidia"
BusID "PCI:1@0:0:0"
Option "ConstrainCursor" "off"
Option "TripleBuffer" "on"

EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "nvidia"
Device "nvidia"
Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration" "on"
Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "CRT"
EndSection
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

steveblezy wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:37 pm Seeing that it is a laptop, do I still use "DVI-I-1" ???? or would it be something like X screen 0
No. As I already explained, find the "Screen" section and add { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On } to the end of the Option "metamodes" ... line.

It should look like this:

Option "metamodes" "whatever_is_there-now { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"

Note that the added option is to the left of the closing double quote at the end of the line.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

steveblezy wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:41 pm here is a copy paste of my current xorg.conf
Please don't do that. Enclose terminal output or text in-between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply. It's impossible to read otherwise and it takes up unnecessary space.

Don't make the changes I suggested just yet. How did you get or create that xorg.conf?
steveblezy

Post by steveblezy »

that xorg.conf has always been there from the day that i installed.

The only modification that I have made to it was to add the line
Option "TripleBuffer" "on" sometime last week.

I never created it, It was always present.

Steve
steveblezy

Post by steveblezy »

In the X11 folder, there is another file called xorg.conf.05292018 with the following contents

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Default Card 1"
EndSection
Not sure if that is useful information
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

steveblezy wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:04 pm In the X11 folder, there is another file called xorg.conf.05292018 with the following contents

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Default Card 1"
EndSection
Not sure if that is useful information
No, it isn't. Also, please don't post output unless asked. We have to give you all our attention when figuring these things out and the constant appearance of superfluous information is off-putting. It's not a criticism, just a gentle reminder that helping you costs me brain power, and at my age I need all I can get :)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

steveblezy wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:51 pm I never created it, It was always present.
It can't have been always present. There is no xorg.conf on a clean installation, it's only created in exceptional circumstances. Perhaps you created it while making the other changes you've mentioned and didn't realise. Anyway, issue this terminal command:

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.orig

Then reboot, then start the nvidia X Server Settings manager.
Click on X Server Display Configuration.
In the bottom right-hand corner, click Save to X Configuration File.
In the text box, type /etc/X11/xorg.conf then click save. Note the capital X in X11, and lower case x elsewhere in the line.

Nvidia Settings will ask for your password. Inspect the file you just created for the "metamodes" option. If you find it, repeat all of the instructions that you've followed so far, including the instructions I linked to earlier. After all the changes have been made, reboot.

See how that goes.
steveblezy

Post by steveblezy »

When I go to "X server display configuration" I have a drop down option.
1. Prime Display (prime displays cannot be controlled by the nvidia-settings and must be configured by an external RandR capable tool. The display is shown in the layout window above for informational purposes only
or
2. X screen 0

For either one, when I click "save to X Configuration File" a dialog box appears saying "failed to generate X Config file! If I click "ok" in that dialog box, and new dialog box titled "Save X Configuration"
with the following path highlited /etc/X11/xorg.conf and a checkbox for "Merge with existing file.

Do you feel that I should continue with the X screen 0 option?

Please note, I can only imagine how confusing this must be for you.

Steve
steveblezy

Post by steveblezy »

Well, i followed thru with the save (merge) for option 2 (X Screen 0)

rebooted with no issue.

I inspected the xorg.conf file and there still is no "metamodes" option available

Steve
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

steveblezy wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:31 pm 1. Prime Display (prime displays cannot be controlled by the nvidia-settings and must be configured by an external RandR capable tool.
Crikey, I'm stupid sometimes. I should have checked if this was a hybrid setup. My sincere apologies. This is out of my area of expertise. I recommend a new thread with a subject line of something like "Prime displays and nvidia - screen tearing". It shouldn't matter that you're using KDE so there's no need to put it in the title of the post. In the new post, include the output of this terminal command:

inxi -Fxz
Enclose the results in-between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply.

Normally I wouldn't recommend a new thread but I fear that everything done so far will simply detract from getting the problem solved quickly.

Again, my apologies for leading you down the garden path with this.
steveblezy

Post by steveblezy »

No worries

and thanks for the tip regarding enclosing the results in-between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode]

I am booting without an issue at this time so no harm. Thanks for taking the time to help.

i will start a new thread as I expect it will eventually help out others.

Steve
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

steveblezy wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:59 pm Thanks for taking the time to help.
You're very much welcome. I'm just sorry I couldn't resolve it for you.

Cheers.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”