AMD R9 270

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
microw

AMD R9 270

Post by microw »

I'm new to Mint and have tried 4 version of Linux but I like this one the most so, here I am back again - to try and make this work. I'm a disabled veteran who has owned his own computer store and ISP back in the day. So I can be pretty dangerous inside and operation system. So, as the above subject indicates I need drivers for this video card in Mint for now. I will be getting a Nvidia card to replace it soon since these are supported far better. But until then I gotta have my warships and war thunder.... ex Submarine Vet. When I was in Ubuntu 16.04 they have a driver for this card which worked great. Can I use this driver for this system version of Linux? If not I have also tried to deciphered the coding lingo of Open Source Drivers to no avail. Just not up to date on whether or not my card is supported or what to do...

Here is where I went https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/

I'm hoping to get some kind of graphics acceleration to play these games better till I get enough to buy a new card. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: AMD R9 270

Post by Pierre »

if you can get a driver for Ubuntu 16.04, as they have a driver for this card which works
then there is a good chance that it should also work in LinuxMint as well.

if that doesn't work, then also try: Menu - Control Center - Administration - - Driver Manager,
to see if that will offer an driver for that video card.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
microw

Post by microw »

Okay trying 16.04 AMD driver in Mint and see if that works... will report back if it works. :?:

Well I found out that the fglrx 15.032 is not support any more, so I would rather not try it. I did however find on this page https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/#index11h2 3rd party support from x.org for my video card. I however don't now which of the drivers to download. Could you help me decipher it????

On that page there is a section that says where to get drivers but I don't know how to do it....any help would be appreciated!
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Have you tried running a Live DVD/USB of Mint with the video card installed and then checking to see if it works?

Most hardware gets its drivers from the Linux kernel. It's not like it used to be such as Windows some years back where you had to install the driver for the OS to recognize the hardware properly.

Plus, if it's not in the kernel you're running on, an update to a higher kernel may have the driver or Driver Manager may be able to provide it.
microw

Post by microw »

I have mint latest version up and running but I'm not sure how to tell if video is working to it's potential. What is the command to tell me what it's using for a driver or tell me if it is using the accelerated abilities of the card?

Okay I just ran this ( inxi -G ) and got this!

Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Curacao PRO [Radeon R7 370 / R9 270/370 OEM]
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
GLX Renderer: AMD PITCAIRN (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.13.0-45-generic, LLVM 5.0.0)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8

I think I'm good to go, right?
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Check to see if your games work well. If they do, then you're good to go!
microw

Post by microw »

Okay I tried to run my game and it says it doesn't support the Vulkan API. I can only get that from the proprietary drivers from AMD. So, I went to their site and download the crimson driver I was using before and it tell's me that it support -

Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS, 14.04.2, 14.04.3, 15.04, 15.10

So, I downloaded it, should I install it first and how do I do that?
How do I make it use this driver instead of the one that's in now?
Or, should I just leave it the way it is?

War thunder runs great!
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

microw wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:24 pm...........
microw, read very carefully those 2 threads first.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”