Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
carum carvi
Level 4
Level 4

Monitor only works for 1 second after startup, then turns to black screen

Post by carum carvi » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:53 am

My CCFL backlight LG monitor suddenly turned totally black. On screen menu isnt working either, only visible for 1 second after startup. I did connect my monitor to another computer, same result: only shows desktop screen for 1 second after start up and then the screen turns to black.

Is this a common way in which monitors die? Just like that ? It is only 9 years old, but I have used it heavily.

I hadnt installed any new updates or software. No external machines connected. I disconnected everything else, mouse etc, but still the monitor only show picture for just 1 second after startup and then turns to black.

Is there some way I can test what is the matter? Or is it very likely that the monitor just died because of old age?

rene
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Monitor only works for 1 second after startup, then turns to black screen

Post by rene » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:02 pm

I'd say chances of this being a monitor-PSU issue are biggest. If it's an external power supply you could try and find/test another one; if not, then, well, not. If it is the issue chances are fair that someone with electronics expertise could fix it; replace a few failing capacitors perhaps...

all41
Level 13
Level 13

Post by all41 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:51 pm

This perhaps means your monitor is failing the post (power on self test), after detecting an error or overload condition shut-down is initiated to prevent further damage to circuitry and alleviate fire hazard
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:05 pm

unfortunately, our monitors and a lot of other things, are simply used until they die, and then throw them away.

it is cheaper to buy a new one than to hire it fixed.

carum carvi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carum carvi » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:28 am

Thanks for the tips, although the future looks rather sad for my LG monitor. I am still amazed that computer monitors can detoriate so fast. My old crt monitor still worked after 10 years. My old tv even works splendidly and that one is from the eighties! Remember the eighties? Joshua Tree was just released and I bought my little old fashioned Sony tv. Still works.

I read somewhere online that some manufacturers sneakily built in a period after which they know the power supply will die. Read about a term of 5 years for some cheaper monitors. That's pretty sad if it's true.

I have speedily bought a new monitor, but this has got some annoying problem, which I will discuss in another thread.

all41
Level 13
Level 13

Post by all41 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:54 am

As has been noted above electrolytic capacitors are suspects with symptoms such as you are reporting,
and not an advisable repair scenario from an economic viewpoint. Recycle it and enjoy your new monitor.

edit: I forgot to qualify myself: I have 50+ years electronic engineering experience
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

carum carvi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carum carvi » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:30 am

Thanks All41, your advice is appreciated. I have bought a new monitor, although I am really frustrated about screenflickering on this new screen, especialyy since it is an EIZO monitor which was sold with the guarantee that any screen flickering would be eliminated.

I re installed Windows 7 to check if it was the fault of the monitor or of my linux system that isnt supported by EIZO. My Nvidea graphics card is supported in Windows7 but not in my linuxmint 18.3 Cinnamon OS. I use the open source nouveau driver.

In Windows 7 I saw none screen flickering. In LM 18.3 Cinnamon I see some very heavy screenflickering but only when I adjust TEMPERATURE settings of the screen and dont use the RGB setting. The RGB setting is very blueish color, dont like that. But it hasnt got screen flickering. So I have to choose between bright blinding blue light or soft warm light (4000K) but WITH some annoying screenflickering, depending on the colorbackground I choose.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”