Using 3 Monitors OK - but booting only possible with 1

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Obstmann11

Using 3 Monitors OK - but booting only possible with 1

Post by Obstmann11 »

Hei Folks,

My current problem might be a bit weird, this I why I had troubles finding a solution on the internet (hard to google it properly)

Short discription:
If I boot my PC with 1 monitor connected, evereything is fine! When when I'm on the desktop, I can plug in my two other identical Screens (3 in total) they are detected and the desktop get's extended.
BUT if I boot with two or three screens connected It freezes right when the desktop or login screen appears (sometimes in wrong colours, shifted etc. it's pretty random).

I tried different slots for 2 monitors, driver updates etc. sometimes I can move the curser for a couple of seconds on the desktop sometimes the screen just turns black..... But if I start with just 1 Monitor connected and plug in the other two after half a minute, everything is fine......

Any Idea How to attack that problem?

System: Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Cinnamon)
Mainboard: ASUS, WS C422 PRO_SE
Graphic card: NVIDIA Quadro P400 (3x Displayport)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Using 3 Monitors OK - but booting only possible with 1

Post by roblm »

Start your PC with all 3 monitors connected. When the screen freezes, reboot by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete. When you get to the desktop, use this command to open the Xorg.0.log.old file: xed /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old

Press Ctrl+A to select the entire file contents. Right click on the screen and select “Copy”. Open the Mint Forum reply window and select </> at the top. Press Ctrl+V to paste the copied lines into a code display window.

Then use this command to open the Xorg.0.log file and repeat the steps above: xed /var/log/Xorg.0.log

If you have problems posting either file because they are too long, then it can be uploaded to pastebin. First use this command to install pastebinit: sudo apt install pastebinit

Then use these commands to upload one or both files:
pastebinit /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old
pastebinit /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Post the URL link that displays in the Terminal window.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”