How do I change the colour/gamma/contrast? / The colours look so washed out!

Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
OneWayGamer
Level 1
Level 1

How do I change the colour/gamma/contrast? / The colours look so washed out!

Post by OneWayGamer » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:14 pm

Hey guys! OneWay here
Please note that I'm pretty new to linux mint :wink:
So I installed Linux Mint today
For some reason the colours look super washed out and it looks bad
Compared to Windows atleast. On windows I use the graphic driver settings to change the colour/gamma/contrast
How do I change these on Linux mint? :?:
The colour calibration doesn't work :x

Any help would be awesome! :D

Schultz
Level 6
Level 6

Re: The colours look so washed out!

Post by Schultz » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:01 pm

A good place to start is to enter inxi -Fxzd in a terminal window, press enter, and paste back the results here (in code tags please to keep it neat and easy to read). The long-timers here on the forum will need this info to see if the Mint version you're using, as well as which DE you chose, is a good match for your hardware. The kernel version might also come into play with this issue. All this info should be provided initially to get good responses. :wink:

One question I have is did the colors looked washed out when running Mint from a live disc/USB drive, before you installed it?

OneWayGamer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OneWayGamer » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:25 pm

Schultz wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:01 pm
A good place to start is to enter inxi -Fxzd in a terminal window, press enter, and paste back the results here (in code tags please to keep it neat and easy to read). The long-timers here on the forum will need this info to see if the Mint version you're using, as well as which DE you chose, is a good match for your hardware. The kernel version might also come into play with this issue. All this info should be provided initially to get good responses. :wink:

One question I have is did the colors looked washed out when running Mint from a live disc/USB drive, before you installed it?
I am using linux mint 18.3 cinnamon edition
Is there any way to change the Colour and contrast?
That would fix my problem

all41
Level 12
Level 12

Post by all41 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:10 pm

Hello OneWayGamer,
Does your monitor's osd menu not offer these adjustments?
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

trytip
Level 7
Level 7

Post by trytip » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:52 pm

Schultz wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:01 pm
A good place to start is to enter inxi -Fxzd in a terminal window, press enter, and paste back the results here (in code tags please to keep it neat and easy to read).

OneWayGamer
Level 1
Level 1

How do I change the colour/gamma/contrast?

Post by OneWayGamer » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:12 am

Hey guys,
I'm fairly new to linux mint. I've been using it for about a month
Recently I noticed that the images and videos look super washed out compared to windows... :(
On Windows I usually use my graphic driver settings to change the colour/gamma/contrast to make the images and videos more appealing and colurful
Unfortunately right now when I view an image or video it just looks bad which is a big problem for me as I watch a lot of YouTube videos and do photoshops.
So if there's any way to change those setting it would be super helpful for me :)

However if there's no way then I'll have to use other operating system because the washed out colour is making my work harder as the colour is less accurate :(

Any kind of help would be awesome! :D

Some extra informations:
I am running Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon edition on a pretty old laptop with Intel i3 2nd gen with 4gb of ram and 500GB HDD

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Re: How do I change the colour/gamma/contrast?

Post by Moem » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:34 am

Menu => preference => color
Check out the options given as color profiles for your laptop/screen. Choose a different one and see if it helps; if not, let us know and we can go from there. We would probably need to know actual brand and model of your laptop. It would be smart to post the results from inxi -Fxzd like people have been asking; please help us help you!

Mod note:
I've merged your threads because they are about the same problem, please do not double post. We will be happy to move a topic to a different section for you, all you have to do is ask.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”