How do I install AMDGPU-Pro on Mint 19?

Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
simonsaysthis
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How do I install AMDGPU-Pro on Mint 19?

Post by simonsaysthis » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:48 am

roblm wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:55 pm

A good site that is updated regularly with info on testing Linux graphics and hardware performance is Phoronix.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... AMDGPU-PRO
Thank you. That's great advice. Right now everything works so I won't go down the non-free firmware path unless I have to. Definitely no video or image editing, just casual gaming on my side.

LinuxMTnewUser
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LinuxMTnewUser » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:25 pm

Installed amdgpu-pro-18.50-708488-ubuntu-18.04 today on my radeon R7 250 using your method on Mint 19.1 and worked like a chime. FPS increased. Thank you very much. I gave up when Ubuntu 16 came out trying to install AMD GPU drivers. Now I'm a happy Mint 19.1 user thanks to you!

red59
Level 1
Level 1

Post by red59 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:57 am

First of all, THANK YOU roblm for your very clear explanations and all the updates you've made! This is very useful, please continue. :D

I've got a quick question: I have followed all your instructions and everything is working very well with my VEGA 64, I need OpenCL for Blender. I've been in troubles when I have tried to update the kernel : black screen when rebooting. To make it work, I think you have to uninstall the drivers (which can be tricky if I have understood correctly), then update the kernel and then reinstall the new drivers? Am I right or Am I missing something?
To avoid this, I update my system apart from the kernel (I have kept 4.15.0-45), is this something you would recommand or not?

Thank again!

roblm
Level 11
Level 11

Post by roblm » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:29 am

red59 wrote: I've been in troubles when I have tried to update the kernel : black screen when rebooting. To make it work, I think you have to uninstall the drivers (which can be tricky if I have understood correctly), then update the kernel and then reinstall the new drivers? Am I right or Am I missing something?
During the AMDGPU-Pro driver installation, there is a driver module installed and 5 kernel modules are built for the running kernel. DKMS (Dynamic Kernel Module Support Framework) allows these kernel modules to be automatically upgraded when a newer kernel is installed, without having to re-install the driver. In this case, the installed amdgpu-dkms package does this.

I did this test to verify DKMS is working. The kernel was updated to 4.15.0-45, just as you did. The AMDGPU-Pro driver was installed from the Radeon Software for LInux 19.10 package. Remember that the newest package, Radeon Software for LInux 19.20, is not compatible with the 4.15.0-xx kernel. Opening the folder /lib/modules/4.15.0-45-generic/updates lists these 5 kernel modules:
amdchash.ko amdgpu.ko amdkcl.ko amd-sched.ko amdttm.ko

The kernel was then updated to 4.15.0-55 in the Update Manager. After the installation, those same 5 kernel modules are listed in /lib/modules/4.15.0-55-generic/updates

If there is a problem with that method, then the alternative is to uninstall the AMDGPU-Pro driver, update the kernel and re-install the driver. However, as I mentioned in UPDATE 4-26-19 and UPDATE 6-19-19, the uninstallation of the driver from Radeon Software for LInux 19.10 and 19.20 causes a serious problem, so it needs to be modified.

red59 wrote: To avoid this, I update my system apart from the kernel (I have kept 4.15.0-45), is this something you would recommand or not?
That’s what I personally do, but if there is a problem with an updated kernel, then you can easily boot to an older kernel and remove the newer one. Also, watch for a mesa package update. It also is at the top for potentially causing problems and is very difficult or impossible to reverse. I would install this separately after creating a Timeshift restore point. However, it is not needed if you’re using the Radeon Software for Linux package because a newer amdgpu-mesa package will be installed.

red59
Level 1
Level 1

Post by red59 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:14 pm

Roblm, Thank you very much for your detailed answers!

gostal
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gostal » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:39 am

For what it's worth I struggled with the amdgpru-pro driver about a year ago on my office desktop running OpenSuse Leap 42.3. AMD doesn't provide a driver for Leap 42.3 but does supply one for SLE. Since Leap and SLE share quite a bit of code I thought it was worth a shot as people before me also had done. It was far from a straight forward matter but in the end I managed to get it up and running. To make a long story short the process builds a working kernel module but a failing initrd. Luckily the initrd built for amdgpu works also for amdgpu-pro. However, as the initrd would get screwed up by the next kernel upgrade I decided that I would live with the comfort of amdgpu and only take the trouble to install amdgpu-pro if I really, really needed that extra power. I posted my findings on the OpenSuse forum:
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread. ... nd-running
I glanced through the posts in this thread and there are enough similarities that there might be something of value also for Mint users in that thread.

Cheers,
gostal
Lap: Latitude E6520, i3-2330M @ 2.20GHz, 4GB, Intel HD Graphics 3000, OS Mint 19.1 version Mate, Windows 7 Enterprise
Desk: Dell Precision T5810, Xeon E5-1650 v4 @ 3.60GHz,72 GB, Radeon Pro WX 7100, OS OpenSuse Leap 42.3
Stockholm, Sweden

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”