Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Soylent Green
Level 1
Level 1

System locks up on resume

Post by Soylent Green » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:56 pm

Hi there.
I'm new to this forum, but not to linux.
I have a Lenove ThinkPad E565 laptop with an AMD A8 processor, R6 graphics onboard, one 256Gb SSD, one 256 HDD. Thanks to there being no support for the AMD graphics drivers I'm using the open source drivers. My problem is that occasionally (enough to be annoying) upon resuming after suspending (either lid closed or not), I am faced with this:
I had Ubuntu 18.04 on this laptop until recently, and it did the same thing (one of the reasons I switched).
Has anyone else faced this and solved it?

ajgringo619
Level 4
Level 4

Re: System locks up on resume

Post by ajgringo619 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:23 pm

It's one of those unfortunate problems with Linux going back for a while now; many people have to either disable suspend/hibernation or just not use it. I've only had (1) OS ever that played correctly with my hardware (Nvidia GeForce 960 w/Gigabyte motherboard), and that was Mint 18.3 Cinnamon. In Mint 19 XFCE (my current), I had to disable NetworkManager (NIC would not wake up); in XUbuntu 18.04, my desktop panels/icons would not return.

I wish there was a real solution.
[Mint 19 XFCE, AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM, 4.15.0-36-generic, GeForce GTX 960 w/Nvidia 410.66]

Soylent Green
Level 1
Level 1

Re: System locks up on resume

Post by Soylent Green » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:15 pm

It's so frustrating. I'm always recommending to family and friends that they use Linux, but then stupid stuff like this happens. I don't want to have to reboot my laptop every time I close the lid. Issues like this are what put people off changing to it.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”