AMD Radeon HD 6750M issues on Macbook Pro late 2011

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frickinducky

AMD Radeon HD 6750M issues on Macbook Pro late 2011

Post by frickinducky »

I have been at this for days and read through multiple threads and forums, often finding either conflicting information or information not targeted to a new to Mint or Mac user. Last week after upgrading to High Sierra OSX and encountering sever problems, I dumped it for: Kernel: 4.13.0-45-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.6 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) dm: lightdm
Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
The install went fine, but upon reboot, I came up with a black screen. After some research on my phone, I found a workaround at boot. Hit e, at Grub entered under gfxmode $linux-gfx-mode
outb 0x728 1
outb 0x710 2
outb 0x740 2
outb 0x750 0
Then after quiet splash entered i915.lvds_channel_mode=2 i915.modeset=1 i915.lvds_use_ssc=0
and hit f10

That got things up and running, though occasionally there is an increased power drain/fan insanity in any browser with certain pages. Most often when I open the terminal and type top, I kill a yelp involved operation.

After more research, I update to kernel 4.4 and then 4.8. This was a mistake. If I tried to e grub in either, black screen no matter what. Wanted to do a fresh install, but couldn't. In 4.13, having them on the system seemed to drained the battery more and more fan insanity from the moment I hit the power button. I have uninstalled them.

Is there a way to install the AMD drivers on my Mac? If not, will the intel card be adequate for streaming? If the intel card will be adequate, is there a way to make the grub changes I enter at e permanent?

Sorry to sound like an idiot, but lost in this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
frickinducky

Re: AMD Radeon HD 6750M issues on Macbook Pro late 2011

Post by frickinducky »

Solved:
Found Grub Customizer and installed. I can actually boot in sans issues. Don't know if this answers the question of which card will do best for streaming, but no need to edit grub at each boot and youtube works.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”