Black Screen and Freezed Mouse at lid laptop close

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pipecleaner

Black Screen and Freezed Mouse at lid laptop close

Post by pipecleaner »

Hello

A friend, tired of office suit and anti-virus licence fees asked help from me. I have taken is old Dell latitude D505 and installed Tara XFCE on it. The laptop is slow, but it was slow before, so no problem with that.

There is a problem with the laptop lid. If I close it with the machine on, I get a black screen with a freezed mouse at the center. The keyboard does not work, not even the Block Shift key, so I can't use CTRL+ALT+F1 to restart Xorg. The only ting I can do is press start butom until the laptop turns off.

In power manager, I can set a time for black screen and lock up. It works OK, but the lid keeps freezing the laptop.
I also have modified UPower.conf and logind.conf to avoid actions for lid events.
I have tried acpi=off, noapic and apm=off to no avail.
then I tried nomodeset in grub and there was no problem with the lid, but I get a broken desktop with loss/moved images.

So now I think it is a problem of the video driver:

inxi -Gx tells it is an 82852/855GM Integrated Grapics device, wit x.org.1.19.6 drivers fdev, intel (unoaded modesetting, vesa)
uname -a tells it has a 4.15.0-24-generic kernel

I have tried with the oldest kernel available, 4.15.0-20-generic, but it does not fix the issue.

Please, what can I do?

Tank You
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”