Dual monitor [Solved]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
reptilezone2002
Level 3
Level 3

Dual monitor [Solved]

Post by reptilezone2002 »

Hi
My mother board is gagabit h61m-dh2 whitch has only one onboard vga port. I want a dual monitor setup just to use for normal work not gaming so i guess i need to purchase a nother vga card. What is the cheapest card there is that works fine with linux.. no headaches with drivers & stuff
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Dual monitor

Post by lsemmens »

A location might help us tell you what is available in your area.
In Australia I have found that MSY (a computer store) is consistently cheaper that evil Bay for many computer parts. For your needs, I'd suggest that just about any cheap card would suffice.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
reptilezone2002
Level 3
Level 3

Well im in sri lanka.. a brand name is helpful. that supports linux very well

Tx
reptilezone2002
Level 3
Level 3

I found this for Very cheap price Gf9600gt Nvidia.. its a bit old right so it must be supported outofthe box with the latest kernel right
solarbear
Level 2
Level 2

Post by solarbear »

That Gigabyte board supports dual monitors itself, it has vga, dvi-d and HDMI. You would need a monitor that has a dvi input and the DVI-D cable to use that port without an active adapter. I think the HDMI is somewhat hit-or-miss about how it can be adapted to different outputs. What ports are you looking to use in your second monitor?

The 9600gt is older (circa 2008) but that generation of card (G9x) puts out a crisp,brilliant image, is single slot thickness and it does get supported by the 340 linux driver. Those cards run hot though, like upper 60s celsius. And then it gets worse, that generation (Tesla) automatically runs in high-clock 3D speed when connected to two monitors, which drives the heat higher.

I run the quadro fx3700 which is a g92 in my old core2 daily driver.
reptilezone2002
Level 3
Level 3

Im planning to use my onboard vga & the vga on that card coz my second monitor... Nothing mutch will run on the. Second monitor just a terminal session..
solarbear
Level 2
Level 2

Post by solarbear »

ok, so two vga connected monitors. I don't think that generation of gigabyte board will allow the use of a video card and the board ports simultaneously. I had an Asus z77 board one time that would allow the board ports and the video card ports to be used at the same time, so it is possible. i traded that troublesome, yet very capable asus board for a gigabyte z77, i always liked the gigabyte boards myself but others may have their preferences also.

Most 9600gt cards will have two dvi-i ports and can be converted to vga with those inexpensive passive adapters and can drive two VGA monitors quite well
reptilezone2002
Level 3
Level 3

What about amd cards any 512mb card u recommend.. is there any issues with amd cards. Like heating issues.
solarbear
Level 2
Level 2

Post by solarbear »

AMD cards don't have the specific drivers like nvidia does. They don't escalate clock speeds and run hot when connected to dual monitors like the older nvidia cards do. I have an old hd5550 1GB in a sff that does fine.I think the lowest budget AMD cards are the hd 5450 series which is plenty fine if you are just looking for dual monitor capabilities. Lots of users deploy the hd5450 for the HDMI in the HTPC and don't complain...my old hd5550 has a little fan on it and stays around 40 degrees celsius, which is quite cool. I think the oldest AMD cards that can drive three monitors are the hd7000 series (i.e. hd7750)

i can't really make a recommendation without a target budget, but the hd5450 is the cheapest and you can get the low profile version that can do good in a slim case. I like the hd 7750 (r7-250) myself, it doesn't need additional power and you can get the slim profile version, but the budget is around 3x the hf5450
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I'm running a GeForce 9400 GT card in my dual monitor Server. The monitor next to my seat is connected by VGA and HDMI is plugged into the TV. Works out of the box with the nVidia-340 Drivers loaded via driver manager.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
solarbear
Level 2
Level 2

Post by solarbear »

I used an old 9500gt a few years back. It only had one clock speed, so did well in dual monitor config. It had two DVI-I and one s-video,

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”