New nvidia card

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BubbaBlues

New nvidia card

Post by BubbaBlues »

Well I've had nothing but frustration and failure on linux with my nvidia GTS 250 Drivers just don't work, so I just went to newegg and
bought a nvidia Geforce GT 1030 card. Someone please tell me I won't have problems with drivers for that card. Please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: New nvidia card

Post by phd21 »

HI BubbaBlues,

With some older nVidia video cards like GTS 250, you might be better off using the default Linux drivers.

With newer nVidia video cards like the GT 1030 installing the correct video drivers should work very well, see link below and instructions below that. Always restart after installing new video drivers.

NVIDIA: how to install the latest video card drivers - Easy Linux tips project
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/12

To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right-click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert), repeat for each command.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge nvidia*

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install nvidia-390
Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

Thanks for the quick response phd21! It'll be a few days before I receive the new card but it's a relief to know
that it will be supported. :D
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi BubbaBlues,

You are welcome...

Let us know how it works for you when you receive the new nVidia GT 1030 card and run "inxi -Fxzd" and post the results.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

Well I received my GT 1030 card today just used the driver manager to install the recommended driver. I think it was
386. 390 wasn't listed but it seems to be working flawlessly. I have compositor enabled with my desktop cube and
my wobbly windows and no issues. I'm a happy blues man again. :D

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”