Windows 10 second monitor stopped working - but works in Mint

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
IdahoDixon
Level 1
Level 1

Windows 10 second monitor stopped working - but works in Mint

Post by IdahoDixon »

Hi,

I just finished installing Linux Mint for the first time (Win 10/Mint dual boot), and while my second monitor works FINE in Mint .... it is now undetectable in Windows 10. I assume that Mint, or something installed by Mint, is putting the monitor into some kind of wonky state that Linux is OK with but results in a 'no response' for Windows 10. The second monitor worked FINE in Win 10 until the Linux installation, BTW. Anyway, I booted into Linux, used the monitor's own settings to set everything to factory defaults (which still worked for Mint), then rebooted to Windows 10 ... no change. Windows 10 cannot detect the second monitor (Control Panel -> Display Settings -> Detect Monitor). Unplugging and replugging-in the monitor's HDMI cable so that it would be rediscovered does not work either, FYI. HELP?! I assume that some setting under Linux needs to change ... but what? Where? Anyone have some hints for me? This is on a development machine and I really need the second monitor!

Thanks in advance!

Brian
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Windows 10 second monitor stopped working - but works in Mint

Post by MrEen »

Hi IdahoDixon, and welcome to the forum.

I'm no expert on this, but as a test, instead of rebooting, try shutting down. Then power on and boot into Windows. Did that work?
IdahoDixon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by IdahoDixon »

Tried a full shutdown... But it didn't help. The Linux install definitely did something. BTW, mint is v19 latest. Video card is Nvidia Quadro 1000. Already tried driver update but it didn't change anything. It's a Mint related issue...
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Sorry, I'm out of my league on this. Wait for others to reply.
IdahoDixon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by IdahoDixon »

Thanks... Me too!
IdahoDixon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by IdahoDixon »

Bump.... Am I to conclude that nobody else has had this problem? What, in terms of display modes and drivers did Mint change that may have impacted Windows?

Thx....

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”