Too bright on Linux Mint 19 Mate<SOLVED>

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LN-cda
Level 1
Level 1

Too bright on Linux Mint 19 Mate<SOLVED>

Post by LN-cda »

I've got a fresh install, and everything is working well except that my thinkpad t510 is too bright. Adjusting brightness on the appelet or in the battery manager has no effect. I'm using the generic driver because the NVidia 340 driver crashed the system, requiring a fresh install. I installed xbacklight but when I try to decrease backlight I get the message "no outputs have backlight property." The external monitor is working fine, but the laptop screen is too bright, and that's the one I use mainly for working. This is my first time using Linux. I've looked at other posts on this going back to 17.3 but I haven't found anything that's working so far. Any help much appreciated!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LN-cda
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Too bright on Linux Mint 19 Mate

Post by LN-cda »

I should add that when I type ls /sys/class/backlight I get intel_backlight nv_backlight
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

Use these commands in the Terminal and post the output: inxi -Fxz and ls /sys/class/backlight/*/*
LN-cda
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LN-cda »

Thanks so much :idea: for the reply! I was digging around last night and found something that worked! This is what I did--I'm including all the steps for anyone as new as I am as I had to use a couple of different sources to understand what to do. I posted the links below my solution because they also provided a lot of other options to try, which didn't work for me but might for someone else with the same issue. This is what I did, and now my Fn keys work as well as the appelet. Note that there is an empty space in the replacement grub cmdline below before the final quotation mark.

Type in terminal

xed admin:///etc/default/grub

In the text file that opens then, find the line:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
replace with

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi= "
Save the file and close it.

type in terminal

sudo update-grub

enter password
restart

Links to solutions to try: