[SOLVED] NVIDIA driver and "suspend session" problem [LM 19]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Re: NVIDIA driver and "suspend session" problem [LM 19]

Post by roblm »

zangetsu wrote: I'd like to suggest for the previous post to edit the command string sudo sh /home/yourUsername/.nvidia-off and substitute it with sudo sh ~/.nvidia-off because some forum user in future could be do a simple cut and paste of that and surely they will have a different username
In my last post I was supposed to use your-user-name intead of my actual user name, so I corrected that. The reason I don’t use ~/ instead of /home/your-user-name is because there are some situations where ~/ won’t work in commands. This is one of them. If you change the Command line in the NVIDIA OFF launcher to sudo sh ~/.nvidia-off, then it won’t work when it is clicked. Try doing that and then use this command to check if the Nvidia card is ON or OFF:
cat /proc/acpi/bbswitch

However, if I run the .nvidia-off script in the Terminal using this command, then it works: sudo sh ~/.nvidia-off

The same situation applies if I add a custom command to Session and Startup.

zangetsu wrote: Last thing, at least for a while
-After having disabled it, what if do I want to enable again nvidia card without a system reboot? Will something like modprobe bbswitch && echo "ON" > /proc/acpi/bbswitch work?
The bbswitch module will still be running until you restart or reboot. This command used in the Terminal will power the Nvidia card back on: sudo tee /proc/acpi/bbswitch <<<ON

Or this command used in a script: echo "ON" > /proc/acpi/bbswitch

However, the Nvidia chip (the Graphics Processing Unit) on the card can’t be used until the Nvidia GPU is enabled in the PRIME Profiles page of Nvidia Settings or by using the command sudo prime-select nvidia. Then you will need to reboot.

So there’s no need to manually power on the Nvidia card. When you switch to the Nvidia GPU and reboot, the card will be powered on.
Last edited by roblm on Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
zangetsu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zangetsu »

All clear and easy to understand :D @roblm, thank you very much for your time
zangetsu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zangetsu »

Update:
On Linux Mint 19.1 with Cinnamon 4.0.8 and 4.15.0-43-generic Kernel version the issue doesn't occur anymore after NVIDIA driver installation :)
maccabbeo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] NVIDIA driver and "suspend session" problem [LM 19]

Post by maccabbeo »

I confirm: the issue does not occur anymore on my system either.
pylo6464
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pylo6464 »

sorry for insisting but not sure where is the solution here to stop the "nvidia resume suspend session reset"?
Cheers & happy xmas guys
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

It’s right in zangetsu’s last post:
On Linux Mint 19.1 with Cinnamon 4.0.8 and 4.15.0-43-generic Kernel version the issue doesn't occur anymore after NVIDIA driver installation

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”