Intel Hybrid Graphics Black Sceen Kernel 4.14.0-23 & above

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
firepower
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Intel Hybrid Graphics Black Sceen Kernel 4.14.0-23 & above

Post by firepower »

are you able to use kernel updates after Kernel 4.15.0-22 with intel prime selected ?

I just clean reinstalled linux mint and still having issues.
I will try what you recommend, and thanks for link about O&O shutup10 , sure a microcode update in win10 is also killing my intel and nvidia drivers, if i can clean install and stop win10 from updating i be able to test drivers if they work before updates.
xdj1nn

Post by xdj1nn »

firepower wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:41 am Are you able to use kernel updates after Kernel 4.15.0-22 with intel prime selected ?

Yeah but nvidia-settings GUI stops working after updating to any driver past 370 (I tried to break it down in my post). Like the GUI works if your on the nvidia gpu and switch to intel, but as soon as you try to launch x-server-settings while on intel gpu nothing happens. I've only been able to test the canonical ppa Kernel 4.18 (from the easylinuxtipsproject howto in link down below)

So what I have been doing is running manual switching from terminal like this:

Code: Select all

sudo prime-select nvidia
Whenever I decide I wanna game on steamplay. then I just switch back to intel whenever I'm doing school stuff or work (either by x-server-settings GUI or with):

sudo prime-select intel
firepower wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:41 am I just clean reinstalled linux mint and still having issues.
I will try what you recommend, and thanks for link about O&O shutup10 , sure a microcode update in win10 is also killing my intel and nvidia drivers, if i can clean install and stop win10 from updating i be able to test drivers if they work before updates.
Were you able to boot in without the black screen? What about installing the NVIDIA driver 396.54 via driver settings?

I noticed you are running UEFI (legacy).Maybe its a Bios configuration... idk man I'm a noob at all of this ahha I am still learning.. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable or a Mod can come in and help man seems like your issue is fixable.

Here is another link if I haven't dropped it already, for more detailed info/& Debug on linux mint installations very informative
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/Home

Laptop freezes when starting X11 and discrete graphics are OFF #764
https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/Bu ... -234494238https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/Bu ... -234494238

Clevo Bios infos
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads ... 6/page-439

Black screen
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux4noobs/co ... reen_with/
firepower
Level 1
Level 1

Post by firepower »

I have done clean install of linux 19, can do first reboot and software update and install nvidia driver v390, but not kernel, keep it at 4.15.0-20
after reboot, have black screen.
if i boot with grub set too nomodeset i can boot to login screen but no keyboard or mouse response, even though i can see mouse move, no key click or mouse clicks. have to do forced shutdown.

I even tried to install Cindy LMDE 3 but it doesnt seem to have any drivers for nvidia as no driver manager shown and it just as painful to get it to login.

now i stuck in loop where i cant login. seem latest updates package is giving me trouble compared to the incremental ones i applied originally.

May go back and install linux Mint 18.3 it dint have any problems with black screen due to updated kernel drivers not working.

thanks for the links i check them out, I a noob too, but learning lots from trying to trouble shoot this.
thanks for you help.

update

from reading forum links above
adding

acpi_osi='!Windows 2015'
or

acpi_osi=! acpi_osi='Windows 2009'
allows me to login.
also needed to run

sudo apt install nvidia-settings
to get nvidia settings to work.
now installing Steam and Steam Play (steam settings) to be able to run Windows steam games inside Steam for Linux.

below is some info about acpi_osi use.

acpi_osi= [HW,ACPI] Modify list of supported OS interface strings
acpi_osi="string1" # add string1 -- only one string
acpi_osi="!string2" # remove built-in string2
acpi_osi= # disable all strings

after prime-select intel
logout and back in.
then prime-select nvidia
logout and back in.

prime applet show graphics card change, but if i run nvidia-settings from applet, menu i get no responce, if run from terminal i get

P65-67RSRP:~$ nvidia-settings
ERROR: NVIDIA driver is not loaded
RROR: Unable to load info from any available system
had to reboot then i can use nvidia-settings

upgrade nvidia drivers to V396 and kernel to 4.15.0-22

still getting freezes using nvidia
xdj1nn

Post by xdj1nn »

Have you tried anything listed on this thread?

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi ... e-system/2
firepower
Level 1
Level 1

Post by firepower »

Just tried it , doing what in link above. still not getting nvida-settings drivers loaded, even though prime says it is.
will purge nvidia and try manually installing direct from nvidia using these instructions.

Nvidia manual install

A. Go to the website of Nvidia itself, and download the right driver.

https://www.geforce.com/drivers

Note: take care to select the right version; not only should it be fit for your particular video card, but also it has to be 64-bit for a 64-bit operating system and 32-bit for a 32-bit operating system. Don't you know whether your system is 32-bit or 64-bit? Then determine it like this (item 11, left column).

Leave the downloaded file as it is, in the folder Downloads.

B. Launch a terminal window.

Now copy/paste the following command into the terminal, in order to remove older versions of the Nvidia driver:

sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
Press Enter. Type your password when prompted; this will remain entirely invisible, not even asterisks will show, which is normal.

C. Make the installer file executable (use copy/paste in order to avoid typo's):

chmod +x -v ~/Downloads/NVIDIA-Linux-*.run
Press Enter.

D. Terminate the graphic session (which will make your graphical view disappear, so that you only see a black terminal), with this terminal command:

sudo service lightdm stop
Press Enter.

E. Now you see a login prompt without graphical view. So you have to login in the terminal.

Type your username. Note: "under the hood" your user name has only lower-case letters, so don't use any upper-case letters!

Press Enter.

Type your password when prompted; this will remain entirely invisible, not even asterisks will show, which is normal.

Now you're logged into your user account, entirely without graphical view.

F. Run the executable installer file; of course you can't use copy/paste now, so take care to type the command line below with exact precision:

sudo sh ~/Downloads/NVIDIA-Linux-*.run
Press Enter.

This will start the installation process. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process; you can activate the OK button by means of the Tab key. Then press Enter.

Note: do NOT accept writing the settings in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, because that might spoil your display resolution!

Also installing 32-bit support in a 64-bit system is useless, so don't agree with that, too.

G. Reboot your computer in the following manner:

sudo reboot
Now your Nvidia video card should be running on the new driver. Check it by this terminal command:

lsmod | grep nvidia
Is there no terminal output? Then the operation has failed, so your video card probably still runs on the open source driver Nouveau. Check it like this:

lsmod | grep nouveau
Note: don't remove the installer file! You'll need it in case you'd want to remove the driver, for example when it doesn't function well.

Removal
2.1. Don't you like the new driver? For removing the driver, do this:

sudo sh ~/Downloads/NVIDIA-Linux-*.run --uninstall
Followed by:

sudo rm -v /etc/X11/xorg.conf
And finally:

sudo reboot

UPDATE:

well that totally failed , only cursor flashing in top left of screen, no cinnamon desktop login, can login blind and hear linux mint chime.

think i try going back to Linux Mint18.3
firepower
Level 1
Level 1

Post by firepower »

Installing Linux Mint 18.3 failed, black screen after grub menu, even using momodeset or recovery. no ctrl-alt-f1 etc unable to get anything on screen.
can login blind and hear linux mint chime. strange as i had it installed before upgrading and then clean instal of Tara.
Going to try Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa Beta
firepower
Level 1
Level 1

Post by firepower »

Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa Beta after install and updates except kernel, Boots to login screen with no keyboard or mouse response even though they work fine in grub menu or grub edit.
unable to login no matter what kernel parameter i give in grub.
will wait for Tessa to come out of beta.
firepower
Level 1
Level 1

Post by firepower »

If login only using battery, it allows me to login, as soon as i try with AC power brick connected i get no keyboard or mouse click.

If i login using battery then plug in power brick i get freeze.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”