Need help with Nvidia drivers and refresh rates

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BootLoxes

Need help with Nvidia drivers and refresh rates

Post by BootLoxes »

Ive used linux on and off over the years but its always been pretty basic usage so I dont really know much. However with the recent steam proton support increasing ive been giving it another chance. I am having a few issues.

First is how do I upgrade my nvidia drivers? It has nvidia xserver rather than the nvidia i am used to on windows. According to xserver my driver version is at 390.48. However I want to upgrade 396.54 since the lutris page says to use that or newer for Overwatch (my most played game)

Next issue is the nvidia xserver doesnt save my settings after a restart. My monitor is 240 hz and i have to change it every reboot which is annoying. I have tried running xserver in sudo but with no luck.

Finally is the issue with it not displaying my faster refresh rates with multiple monitors. I use two monitors. the secondary runs at 60 hz. Even though my main is set to 240hz, it isnt smooth at all unless i disable my second monitor. On windows I can use both and get the smoothness of the 240hz on my main monitor.

Also my games framerate runs like garbage when i use two monitors. I have to disable one of them. Is there a fix for this?

PC Specs
i7 7700K
GTX 1070
16gb ram 3000MHZ
500gb SSD Evo
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BootLoxes

Re: Need help with Nvidia drivers and refresh rates

Post by BootLoxes »

figured out how to update my nvidia driver since making the last post. the other issues still remain though

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”