Which Intel Graphic driver Linux Mint 19 is using?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kgavionics

Which Intel Graphic driver Linux Mint 19 is using?

Post by Kgavionics »

HI GUYS
I want to thank you first first for the outstanding Linux Mint 19.
Its my first linux mint install.I only used Manjaro and Antergos so far and i had a big problem with them both.i'm using a Lenovo X220 Laptop with a crappy Intel graphics and the problem with arch based distributions the colors are washed out and there is no way to adjust the color saturation.
I installed Linux mint 19 cinnamon and i was surprised to see that the colors look good out the box!!so i'm wondering what's the difference between the intel drivers in both Arch based distributions and Linux mint?
And by the way is there any way to control the colors saturation for intel graphics in Mint?
Thanks in advance guys
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Which Intel Graphic driver Linux Mint 19 is using?

Post by gm10 »

Mint menu > Color lets you set up a colord color profile.

If you want to go more low level, from a terminal xrandr's --contrast/--gamma/--brightness settings should help you out.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

inxi -G to check the graphics driver in use on Mint.

inxi is also available for Arch based distros if you still have an install to compare the difference.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

There aren't actually a lot of Linux drivers for Intel video cards. If you install Mint pre 19 you get the intel driver, for 19 you get the modesetting driver. That may be the issue but as others have said it's hard to say without lots more info. The opposite could have happened re mint v. other distros you tried. If you had Intel graphics pre 2008/9 or so the modesetting driver probably wouldn't work at all.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Kgavionics

Post by Kgavionics »

make sense Hoser Rob, probably, the other linux distros don't use the modesetting by default like linux Mint does!!
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Kgavionics wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:27 pm make sense Hoser Rob, probably, the other linux distros don't use the modesetting by default like linux Mint does!!
The others you tried may not have, Mint uses the modesetting one now because Ubuntu does.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”