Updated nVidia Drivers for LM 19

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jclausius

Updated nVidia Drivers for LM 19

Post by jclausius »

I'm currently running LM 19 on a system with about 10 month old hardware using an nVidia 1060 GTX (6GB Mem) card.

There's been some flickering of some of the desktop besides some of the frames hosting apps (like Firefox, eclipse, Thunderbird). I was wondering if it is possibly driver related. My system is running with nvidia-driver-390 ( 390.48-0ubuntu3 ) drivers, but noticed there is a 390.87 driver nVidia has available on their website.

What is the protocol for video adapter driver updates? Wait for one to come down in Update Manager? Or Try to install the one from nVidia? Any advice on what to do, if anything at all?

TIA
-jclausius
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Updated nVidia Drivers for LM 19

Post by catweazel »

jclausius wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:53 am I was wondering if it is possibly driver related. My system is running with nvidia-driver-390 ( 390.48-0ubuntu3 ) drivers, but noticed there is a 390.87 driver nVidia has available on their website.

What is the protocol for video adapter driver updates? Wait for one to come down in Update Manager? Or Try to install the one from nVidia? Any advice on what to do, if anything at all?
You're barking up the wrong tree.

Please post the output of this terminal command:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Enclose the results between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply. Note that it's a capital F in that command, followed by lower case xz
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i believe this is what you're looking for. i used it for mint 19 and 17.3 with no issues
https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers ... ubuntu/ppa
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

trytip wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:02 am i believe this is what you're looking for. i used it for mint 19 and 17.3 with no issues
That isn't going to fix anything at all.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

the OP noticed there is a 390.87 driver nVidia has available on their website and the title of the thread is "Updated Nvidia Drivers" so i offered it to him. what's the problem with that?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

trytip wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:50 am the OP noticed there is a 390.87 driver nVidia has available on their website and the title of the thread is "Updated Nvidia Drivers" so i offered it to him. what's the problem with that?
I already stated what the problem is with that. How many ways are there to say it?
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

catweazel wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:51 am
trytip wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:50 am the OP noticed there is a 390.87 driver nVidia has available on their website and the title of the thread is "Updated Nvidia Drivers" so i offered it to him. what's the problem with that?
I already stated what the problem is with that. How many ways are there to say it?
are we going to chit chat back and fourth hijack this thread and have a dispute about personal differences? listen can you please mind your own comments and i'll do the same about mine?
How many ways are there to say it?
and please don't respond to me as if i'm your wife
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

trytip wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:50 am and please don't respond to me as if i'm your wife
lol
jclausius

Post by jclausius »

Thanks for your reply.

Note, I'm mostly interested in preferred course of action if one wishes video driver updates. I don't expect it to necessarily fix the 'flashing' of areas of the desktop not covered by a frame, but regardless I'm also interested in the preferred method for updates in video drivers. Normally does one wait for it to be pushed down or to take it on oneself to install an update?

:? What do you mean?
catweazel wrote:You're barking up the wrong tree.

In any case, here's an edited list of the information you had requested:

System:    Host: lm19 Kernel: 4.15.0-36-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9 (Gtk 3.22.30) Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine:   Device: desktop Mobo: ASRock model: X299E-ITX/ac serial: N/A
           UEFI: American Megatrends v: P1.60 date: 07/23/2018
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB] bus-ID: 65:00.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: nvidia (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2
           version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.48 Direct Render: Yes
Info:      Processes: 324 Uptime: 51 min Memory: 2567.6/31871.8MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.3.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.56 
catweazel wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:24 am Please post the output of this terminal command:

inxi -Fxz
Last edited by jclausius on Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
jclausius

Post by jclausius »

Interesting. So, is this just the ubuntu team making packages for some of the drivers?

I don't know if I need to go this route at the moment, but out of curiosity, how is it done? Merely setting a repository and using `apt-get install`?
trytip wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:02 am i believe this is what you're looking for. i used it for mint 19 and 17.3 with no issues
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

it would be easy and simple enough to test and try out a new driver. whether it fixes anything i can't say, but if you're willing to try, first use Timeshift and create a snapshot in case you need to restore and undo your work.
then in Terminal you enter:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
must REBOOT when done nvidia update
pay close attention to anything the Terminal window tells you. graphic driver updates come from ubuntu when they decide. in my case ubuntu stopped updates for mint 17.3 nvidia-340 a while back so the ppa provided offered me an update also.

IMPORTANT if you have more than one kernel and you do a nvidia update you need to re-install all other kernels. you can see what kernels are running on nvidia with: after you update nvidia YOU NEED to reboot, then in Terminal run dkms status which will tell you the kernels that you have loaded with nvidia modules. all other kernels you installed that is not on your dkms stratus list will need a re-install and reboot
Last edited by trytip on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
jclausius

Post by jclausius »

Thank you all!

I guess it was merely a matter of timing for an updated ( but not necessarily latest ) driver. Update Manager downloaded / installed 390.77 this morning. Hopefully it address my problem with the background flashing. Also, it appears as if sometime down the road, LM users with hardware that supports it can expect future driver updates.
Last edited by jclausius on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
jclausius

Post by jclausius »

TY! This will be something to consider if needed down the road. See above post for driver update on my system this morning.
trytip wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:06 am it would be easy and simple enough to test and try out a new driver. whether it fixes anything i can't say

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”