Multi monitor problems with docking station

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aubergine

Multi monitor problems with docking station

Post by aubergine »

I have a Thinkpad T480s Core i5-8250U, with integrated Intel UHD 620 graphics. It is hooked up to a USB-C docking station. The dock is hooked up to a Dell 27" (2560x1440) via DisplayPort, and a Dell 24" (1920x1200) via HDMI. The laptop is always closed and sits under the desk, power on/off is via the docking station. I'm running Windows 10, Linux Mint Xfce4 19 dual boot.

Under Windows 10 I can boot the laptop with the lid closed and get extended monitor support across the two Dells with the 27" as a primary. I can also boot with the lid open and have all three displays working properly.

Under Mint I can't get either setup to work. I can't even get the two Dells to work at the same time together. When booting with the lid closed Mint doesn't recognize this display isn't in use and treats it as the primary, so the start menu isn't even visible. Basically the whole thing is a mess!

Is the configuration I want with the laptop lid closed and dual display possible on Mint?

Is it even possible to run the two Dells simultaneously?

Would switching to Xubuntu make any difference?

I'm new to Linux and really want to make it my primary OS but it's going to be difficult if I can't get multiple monitors to work properly, appreciate any suggestions.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”