Problem with secondary display installed vs live

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
c2s_ronw

Problem with secondary display installed vs live

Post by c2s_ronw »

Hello,

Here is a conundrum that I'm trying to resolve. I have a Dell laptop with an Intel HD Graphics 4000. It is attached to a docking station with two 27" monitors - one connected via DVI and the other via VGA.

When I boot in LM 19 Cinnamon 64-bit using the Live version, I have no problems with either of the two external displays. They show at their proper maximum resolutions.

Code: Select all

mint@mint:~$ inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1600x900@59.99hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile
           version: 4.2 Mesa 18.0.0-rc5 Direct Render: Yes

However, when I boot into the same laptop into the same OS that was installed on the hard drive, LM 19 Cinnamon 64-bit, neither of the two external displays will show at their max resolutions.

ronw@DellE6430:~/Downloads/VeraCrypt$ inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1600x900@59.99hz, 1152x864@75.00hz, 1152x864@75.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ivybridge Mobile
           version: 4.2 Mesa 18.0.5 Direct Render: Yes

Whenever I try to switch them to their max resolution, I get the following error:

GDBus.Error:org.gtk.GDBus.UnmappedGError.Quark._gnome_2drr_2derror_2dquark.Code2: 
could not set the configuration for CRTC 64
When I've researched this error it usually notes an issue with the hardware, one of the cables, or the fact that the displays are using DVI and VGA together.

My conundrum is how is it that the Live version will allow the displays to show normally with no problems throughout the day every time I boot into it, yet when I boot into the same OS installed on the hard drive it cannot even set the external displays correctly? Is it a problem with the OS installation? Can I just adjust my xorg.conf file manually to get them to the best resolution?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”