Problems with Mint 17.3 and Nvidia GTX 1050 [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
martasanz34

Re: Problems with Mint 17.3 and Nvidia GTX 1050

Post by martasanz34 »

Finally, I gave up. I needed to check if any Linux system worked soon, just in case I had to return the computer, because I really need linux to run some programs I need for my job. What I did was installing Ubuntu 18.04, it worked perfectly (after adding the nouveau.modeset=0) command for the installation. Driver 390.77 for Nvidia works perfectly. I added the cinnamon desktop because I'm used to mint and I don't like Unity at all. Thank you a lot for your help, I still don't know what's the incompatibility between my computer and Mint, but Ubuntu works an that's what matters.
I'm very grateful for all the time you have put into helping me.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Problems with Mint 17.3 and Nvidia GTX 1050

Post by roblm »

I was delayed in getting back to you because I finally got some extra time to do an actual installation and testing of Mint 17.3 on a laptop with hybrid graphics and a similar Kaby Lake CPU as yours. I had half-way success with some of the 4.4.0-xxx kernels. These all worked: 4.4.0-24, 4.4.0-42, 4.4.0-98 and 4.4.0-138. I was able to install the nvidia-384 driver and the system worked fine in Nvidia mode but Intel mode was still in software rendering. Newer versions of some other packages were needed to support the newer CPU and Intel graphics but I wasn’t able to install them without breaking some installed packages.

I remember you had previously said:
This time , I thought it would be easier to work just with the nvidia, since I use linux mostly to run programs which require high rendering power.

I periodically read topics from other users who can’t get something to work in Mint but then they try Ubuntu and it works. I remember one important piece of advice that I read when I first started looking for a Linux distro to use:
Don’t try to force a distro to work with your hardware, but find a distro that your hardware works with.
bbfilipp

Re: Problems with Mint 17.3 and Nvidia GTX 1050 [SOLVED]

Post by bbfilipp »

You can change "quiet splash" to "acpi_osi=Linux acpi_osi=! acpi_osi='Windows 2017' acpi_rev_override=1" to get into Live Mint environment. With these settings I installed Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa Cinnamon on laptop Asus GL503VD -FY426T. Then I prescribed these settings to the grub loader file.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”