NVidia 396 -"You appear to be running an X Server..." [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
EdB
Level 3
Level 3

NVidia 396 -"You appear to be running an X Server..." [SOLVED]

Post by EdB »

New install of Mint 19 XFCE. Trying to install the 396.54 driver and get slapped with this message, which must be familiar to some of you. It tells me to stop X and then install.
I found some instructions to enter TTY mode, stop lightdm, go to init 3, then install, but then I got a message about the "pre-installation script failing, do I want to continue ..". I said sure, why not? Then it said I needed to install the clib stuff, which I assume is build-essential. I just now did this, got all my system updates, and am ready to try again!

Anyway, a little help/clarification on this, please :). Like I said, this is a new install, so I am okay with trying most anything.

Oh, one more thing - can I get back into Desktop from TTY, and if so how? Do I do lightdm start?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: NVidia 396 -"You appear to be running an X Server..."

Post by richyrich »

Have you tried the Driver Manager program to install your Nvidia driver ?
EdB
Level 3
Level 3

Post by EdB »

richyrich wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:19 am Have you tried the Driver Manager program to install your Nvidia driver ?
Nope. I have not.
I have the 396 driver on my Cinnamon partition. I don't remember how I got it there, but I sure did not use the TTY thing. Maybe I used the Driver Manager.

I just now wiped the disk and am starting again. When I tried the TTY method, I am not confident that the driver got installed. It did not show up driver manager. And when I changed to the 390 driver, the performance was choppy and sucky and basically unusable.

I will get back after I get my system updated.

Ed
EdB
Level 3
Level 3

Post by EdB »

richyrich wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:19 am Have you tried the Driver Manager program to install your Nvidia driver ?
The only options I have in Driver Manager are the nvidia 390 (which sucked) and the nouveau. How do I get the 396 driver to show up? Is there a ppa or something I have to add?

Ed
EdB
Level 3
Level 3

Post by EdB »

gm10 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:11 pm Use this PPA: https://launchpad.net/~graphics-drivers ... ubuntu/ppa
That's the one. Thanks.

Ed

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”