i915.modeset=0 - Stuck in Running Software Rendering Mode

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thun0r

i915.modeset=0 - Stuck in Running Software Rendering Mode

Post by thun0r »

This is my first install of Linux, I removed Windows 10.

I'm using an old second hand X220 Thinkpad with integrated graphics.

When I initially tried to use live mode it would boot the USB stick to the splash screen that told me it would autoboot in 12 seconds after that I was getting a black screen with a white flashing curser then it would boot straight into Windows again.

To combat that I pressed C while I was waiting at the autoboot screen, then pressed tab to edit the GRUB command line and added i915.modeset=0.

After that I was able to boot into live mode and from there install Mint 18.3 with no issues.

However I am now stuck in 'Running Software rendering mode' and my CPU is getting warm.

How can I fix this please.

I used this https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/842 to help me with the above but after doing this all it says to fix it is:

Hopefully, the system will boot into a default graphical environment and you will be able to install/reinstall driver or configuration packages. In my case I solved my issues in a old nvidia cards (Quadro NVS 280 and geforce 7300LE) using a legacy nvidia 96 or 173 drivers, respectively, in place of nouveau. And nvidia-settings package.

Like I said I am very new to Linux so no idea how to install/reinstall driver???

inxi -G
Graphics: Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Integrated Graphics Controller
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
drivers: fbdev (unloaded: modesetting,vesa)
Resolution: 1024x768@76.00hz
OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 256 bits)
version: 3.3 Mesa 18.0.5
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: i915.modeset=0 - Stuck in Running Software Rendering Mode

Post by smurphos »

Can we have your full inx -Fxz output please - copy from the terminal and paster back in between [code][/code] tags.

Also return the output of cat /etc/default/grub and apt search xserver-xorg-video-intel and echo $DESKTOP-SESSION
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
thun0r

Post by thun0r »

smurphos wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:48 am Can we have your full inx -Fxz output please - copy from the terminal and paster back in between [code][/code] tags.

Also return the output of cat /etc/default/grub and apt search xserver-xorg-video-intel and echo $DESKTOP-SESSION
Thank you for looking, here is the requested.

inxi -Fxz

Code: Select all

System:    Host: anon-X220 Kernel: 4.15.0-38-generic x86_64
           bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu1)
           Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine:   Device: laptop System: LENOVO product: 4291V9S v: ThinkPad X220 serial: N/A
           Mobo: LENOVO model: 4291V9S serial: N/A
           UEFI [Legacy]: LENOVO v: 8DET76WW (1.46 ) date: 06/21/2018
Battery    BAT0: charge: 60.5 Wh 96.6% condition: 62.6/93.2 Wh (67%)
           model: SANYO 42T4940 status: Discharging
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-2520M (-MT-MCP-) 
           arch: Sandy Bridge rev.7 cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9967
           clock speeds: max: 3200 MHz 1: 1018 MHz 2: 1004 MHz 3: 1052 MHz
           4: 1100 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: fbdev (unloaded: modesetting,vesa)
           Resolution: 1024x768@76.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 256 bits)
           version: 3.3 Mesa 18.0.5 Direct Render: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Def. Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-38-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection
           driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: 5080 bus-ID: 00:19.0
           IF: enp0s25 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak]
           driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 320.1GB (4.8% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MQ01ACF0 size: 320.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 293G used: 15G (6%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 49.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 2962
Info:      Processes: 210 Uptime: 3 min Memory: 914.0/3827.5MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.3.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.56

cat /etc/default/grub

# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
# For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
#   info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="i915.modeset=0"

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
# This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
# the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
#GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
#GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
#GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"
apt search xserver-xorg-video-intel

i   xserver-xorg-video-intel        - X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display
p   xserver-xorg-video-intel:i386   - X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display
p   xserver-xorg-video-intel-dbg    - X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display
p   xserver-xorg-video-intel-dbg:i3 - X.Org X server -- Intel i8xx, i9xx display
p   xserver-xorg-video-intel-hwe-16 - Transitional package for xserver-xorg-vide
p   xserver-xorg-video-intel-hwe-16 - Transitional package for xserver-xorg-vide
echo $DESKTOP-SESSION

-SESSION
gm10

Post by gm10 »

thun0r wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:59 pm When I initially tried to use live mode it would boot the USB stick to the splash screen that told me it would autoboot in 12 seconds after that I was getting a black screen with a white flashing curser then it would boot straight into Windows again.

To combat that I pressed C while I was waiting at the autoboot screen, then pressed tab to edit the GRUB command line and added i915.modeset=0.

After that I was able to boot into live mode and from there install Mint 18.3 with no issues.

However I am now stuck in 'Running Software rendering mode' and my CPU is getting warm.

You installed Mint 19, not 18.3.

The parameter i915.modeset=0 enforces software rendering by disabling the kernel mode driver so no surprise about the result here. I cannot comment about the black screen issue but you should try booting without that parameter first to see if the issue persists or if it was limited to the live environment.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Having followed gm10's advice if you are still in software rendering mode the last command I asked you to run should have been.

echo $DESKTOP_SESSION
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

smurphos wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:06 pm Having followed gm10's advice if you are still in software rendering mode the last command I asked you to run should have been.

echo $DESKTOP_SESSION
But you already know the answer from inxi, it will be cinnamon. ;)
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

gm10 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:07 pm
smurphos wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:06 pm Having followed gm10's advice if you are still in software rendering mode the last command I asked you to run should have been.

echo $DESKTOP_SESSION
But you already know the answer from inxi, it will be cinnamon. ;)
Just covering all bases in case it's cinnamon2D - that's the software rendering session selected from the login screen. Come across more than one user who has inadvertently selected it at some point and it sticks as the default. Unlikely to be the issue in this case of course given the bad kernel parameter.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

smurphos wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:13 pm Just covering all bases in case it's cinnamon2D - that's the software rendering session selected from the login screen. Come across more than one user who has inadvertently selected it at some point and it sticks as the default.
Fair enough, although with fbdev/llvmpipe in use as per inxi there's really no chance he's not in software rendering mode. ;)
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

True - I also don't want my typo living uncorrected for posterity. :wink: :roll:
thun0r

Post by thun0r »

gm10 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:59 am
thun0r wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:59 pm When I initially tried to use live mode it would boot the USB stick to the splash screen that told me it would autoboot in 12 seconds after that I was getting a black screen with a white flashing curser then it would boot straight into Windows again.

You installed Mint 19, not 18.3.

The parameter i915.modeset=0 enforces software rendering by disabling the kernel mode driver so no surprise about the result here. I cannot comment about the black screen issue but you should try booting without that parameter first to see if the issue persists or if it was limited to the live environment.
Thank you - When I updated it before it was in the GRUB command menu. I've tried updating using the terminal but I'm at a loss what I need to do, I tried searching Google but mostly found what I had already done!
thun0r

Post by thun0r »

echo $DESKTOP_SESSION

cinnamon
Thank you for helping me out
gm10

Post by gm10 »

thun0r wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:33 pm Thank you - When I updated it before it was in the GRUB command menu. I've tried updating using the terminal but I'm at a loss what I need to do, I tried searching Google but mostly found what I had already done!
I was actually expecting you to use the GRUB command line again same as you did previously. That is just a temporary change but since you don't know yet whether it will work that appears preferable.

You can get into the GRUB menu by holding the shift key after the BIOS screen until the menu appears - sometimes you need to press Esc, too.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

For a permanent change...

sudo nano /etc/default/grub to open it in a root text editor.

Amend GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="i915.modeset=0" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

While you are there replace

GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
with

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu
GRUB_TIMEOUT=2
for a quicker boot but a few seconds to chance to interact with the grub menu should the black screen issue re-occur.

Ctrl-O and then enter to save, Crtl X to exit. Then run sudo update-grub, then reboot. Fingers crossed.
thun0r

Post by thun0r »

smurphos wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:41 pm For a permanent change...

sudo nano /etc/default/grub to open it in a root text editor.

Amend GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="i915.modeset=0" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

While you are there replace

GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
with

GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu
GRUB_TIMEOUT=2
for a quicker boot but a few seconds to chance to interact with the grub menu should the black screen issue re-occur.

Ctrl-O and then enter to save, Crtl X to exit. Then run sudo update-grub, then reboot. Fingers crossed.

Have done exactly this and now it boots, shows GRUB boot menu and then reboots in a constant loop!!! This is what happened when I was trying to use live mode which is why I entered GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="i915.modeset=0

If I press C it takes me to GNU GRUB version 2.02 screen with the grub> curser.

How can I get the OS back please?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Can you up or down arrow in the grub menu when it shows?
thun0r

Post by thun0r »

smurphos wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:01 pm Can you up or down arrow in the grub menu when it shows?
I can indeed.

I have the options:

Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon
Advanced options for Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon
Memory Test
Memory Test
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Highlight the first option, press 'e' and you should be able to edit the linux line to add the nomodeset option back in, just after quiet splash.
thun0r

Post by thun0r »

smurphos wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:24 pm Highlight the first option, press 'e' and you should be able to edit the linux line to add the nomodeset option back in, just after quiet splash.
Screen I see:
https://i.postimg.cc/y874HcMY/gryb.jpg

Just so I am clear as I dont want to mess this up and make it worse. Shall I add

--i915.modeset=0
where I put the red line with one space between? Thank you
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

The spot is correct - a space after quiet splash then just i915.modeset=0 then another space.
thun0r

Post by thun0r »

smurphos wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:39 pm The spot is correct - a space after quiet splash then just i915.modeset=0 then another space.
Had to put my daughter to bed but did what you said and....YESSSS It's back! But original issue is still there haha

I'm hoping I don't have to go back to Windows, is there anything else I can try?!?

If it's having an issue with the driver, shall I try updating it with one of these https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads ? I'm presming it's not that simple hehehe

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”