Nvidia drivers last step for my Imac

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pleefiguur

Nvidia drivers last step for my Imac

Post by pleefiguur »

I just got an Core2Duo Imac. The idea was install Linux. I tried Linux Mint first. I needed failsafe live-image to install on harddisk. After installation, I got an distorted view. Couple of tries holding shift key to get in recovery mode. It worked, but i had keep starting with shift on. Than I tried Ubuntu. It did not boot from Live DVD... When I start up I needed F12 first to remove DVD. OK. Ubuntu fail.

The installation in recovery mode let me install Bumblebee. I guess this disables also the NVIDIA graphics. So I could boot normal into the Mint installation. It is a 32bit since i wanted compatibilty and since I only have 2GB of ram. The problem is my resolutions with open source drivers are max 1280x1024... My monitor is 1920X1200. I assume this resolution is not supported with open source drivers on my CPU' s Integrated graphics. I need to activate my Geforce 7300 GT, the dedicated Graca in the iMAC (LATE 2006). Whether with open source drivers or with the Propriatary Nvidia drivers i want to try this.

In the Driver manager app from the mint menu it does not show the NVIDIA graca. Too bad, so I downloaded the driver with a .run extension from the nvidia site. I tried teriminal with chmod 755. It said needed root. I did Sudo ...It said I had to turn off X-org display drivers. I did CRLT ALT F1 and CTRL ALT F7. . It said X-org was still in use. Feedback from installation refered me to the Nvidia website where there was an very big document....

I was trying the sudo apt get nvidia drivers. Didnt find anything.

My question: What is the easiest way to install the dedicated graca on this Imac? I have some experience with the Linux Mint menu, synaptic package manager and terminal, but I dont know anything by heart. So I am eager for some help here... If you need more information, i will look it up in my 32bit installation of Linux mint 19. My kernel is 4.15.0-39 and my Xorg version is 1.19.6.

Thanks for reading this thread.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Nvidia drivers last step for my Imac

Post by fabien85 »

The core2duo normally has a 64-bit processor, although the early model have a 32-bit EFI (e.g. https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac ... specs.html).

That means you can boot the 64-bit Mint, by doing some tweaks in the case of a 32-bit EFI : have a look at https://mattgadient.com/2016/07/11/linu ... 06-models/

I would recommend to try that method, because support for 32-bit is gradually fading out. It could also help with the hardware support.
pleefiguur

Post by pleefiguur »

My Core2Duo T7400 CPU is a 64-bit one, but my Imac will not boot the 64-bit live image Mint 19 v2 mate. It just ejects the disk. The support for for the 32-bit Linux Mint 19 is until april 2023 according to linuxmint.com. This is long enough updates for me.
pleefiguur

Post by pleefiguur »

My bad mister. I used the 64-bit from the official linuxmint.com website, but that did not work. The ISO's on the website you referred to are working just fine. Even the live Image gave me the native resolution of my Imac. The installation was a piece of cake and I love it. A small remark, i downloaded "Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon “Tara” (64-bit Mac) – 1.9 GB" and it turned out to be a mate GUI, but that was my preferrered one anyway. Thank you so so very much. :D
pleefiguur

Post by pleefiguur »

I believe we can close this thread, all my problems are solved...
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

Congrats!

Please edit your first post (by clicking the pencil button in the upper right) and add [SOLVED] to the subject. This will indicate all forumers that the thread is solved.

Enjoy Mint

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”