Turning off monitor moves all windows to the other monitor

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aesca

Turning off monitor moves all windows to the other monitor

Post by aesca »

I have dual monitor setup. Because my primary monitor malfunctions sometimes I have to turn it off and on every once in a while. This causes all windows to be moved to the other monitor. How do I disable this behavior? I don't want the system to react to it in any way.

It used to be different, the system didn't react to turning off the monitor. But after I switched video cards (radeon 290x -> radeon rx 570) windows started moving.

Linux Mint 19
No proprietary drivers
Primary monitor is connected via HDMI, secondary - via DVI
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Turning off monitor moves all windows to the other monitor

Post by lsemmens »

I have not obseved that problem on any of my dual monitor setups As per the "before you post" instructions. (relvant part quoted below) can we please have some more info?
5] Details! Details! Details!
Include the version and architecture (32-bit, 64-bit) of Linux Mint.
List any relevant hardware or software specifications. 'inxi' is a useful terminal command for listing this. Use inxi -h for help. Generally it suffices to type the following in terminal and include the output in your post -> inxi -Fxz
List what Display Environment you are using if relevant (Cinnamon, KDE, XFCE, MATE, etc).
If you have output errors, list them in their entirety.
When posting output of commands use the "Code" tags if it is more than 2 or 3 lines long - this makes it more readable
If your Linux Mint installation isn't in English, prefix any commands that you want to share output of with LC_ALL=C. That forces output to be English. For example instead of running the command "make", you'd run the command "LC_ALL=C make".
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
aesca

Re: Turning off monitor moves all windows to the other monitor

Post by aesca »

Sorry, here is the relevant info:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: aesca-PC Kernel: 4.15.0-38-generic x86_64
           bits: 64 gcc: 7.3.0
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9 (Gtk 3.22.30-1ubuntu1)
           Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480]
           bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
           drivers: ati,amdgpu (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa,radeon)
           Resolution: 1920x1200@59.95hz, 1280x1024@60.02hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Radeon RX 570 Series (POLARIS10 / DRM 3.23.0 / 4.15.0-38-generic, LLVM 6.0.0)
           version: 4.5 Mesa 18.0.5 Direct Render: Yes

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”