NVidia Gfx Card recommendations?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lazarus

NVidia Gfx Card recommendations?

Post by lazarus »

LM 18.3 Cinnamon x64

It's time for me to look for a new gfx card. I've been a Radeon fanboi for enough years now that I've no clue whats available on the dark (NVidia) side, but I've had a gutful of the driver problems inherent to running Radeons under any flavour of Linux..

So I'm looking for recommendations as to what NVidia families are worth looking at.

They must have Linux support, of course, with performance suitable to playing most modern games under 'medium' video cfgs. (I'm weary of having to set all cfgs so low that I may as well be playing with a 20yo Voodoo card :roll: )

I'm not a rabid gamer... and cost is an issue. I'm not bitcoin mining or whatever, so if the cards cost more than a new mobo/cpu I won't bother to even to look at them.

So... suggestions as to where to start looking, please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Re: NVidia Gfx Card recommendations?

Post by roblm »

jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

That's a good starting point. Of course, there could be some differences between the implementation on a laptop versus a desktop. I'm not a gamer - at all - so I'm happy with my old GT700 series Nvidia card on my desktop. My older son has a GT1050, or maybe a GT1080 by now, and is well satisfied. But as you move up in anyone's graphics card lineup and price goes up and the price shoots up on a curve not a straight line increase.

Look at the gaming requirements chart on that site and size accordingly. Then shop around!
lazarus

Post by lazarus »

Thanks fellas!

'Twas a seemingly naive question, I know.

The main reason I asked here rather than just googling NVidia for myself, was in case there were any known 'problem card families' under Linux; most 'net reviews assume the OS is Win. My last few Radeons performed admirably under Win, receiving wonderful reviews... but under Linux? :roll:
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Nvidia has the best Linux support, AMD definitely less so.

It takes longer for Linux drivers to come out and for that reason bleeding edge hardware can be difficult, esp. with long term support releases like ubuntu or mint. One very good option is one of those discount chains that sell last year's model at a discount.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”