(SOLVED) Mint 19, Nvidia issues.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
IdanWolnnec

(SOLVED) Mint 19, Nvidia issues.

Post by IdanWolnnec »

Hello, i'm running Mint 19 Cinnamon kernel 4.15.0-39-generic on a Lenovo G-70 with an Nvidia GeForce 820M graphics card.
Whenever I wake my laptop from suspend mode, I get the following error:
[6407.998284] NVRM: Xid (PCI: 0000:03:00): 79, GPU has fallen of the bus.
and I need to force shut down with the power button in order to reboot and use the computer.
Also, when I power up my computer, after the Mint logo with the 5 white dots beneath it, all I see is a black screen, I don't see my lock screen, I can still type in my password and log in but until the desktop shows up, all I see is a black screen.
How can I resolve these issues?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
firepower
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 19, Nvidia issues.

Post by firepower »

try earlier kernel, my laptop gives black screen if i use any kernel after 4.15.0-22
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=276201

Updates Manager > View > Kernel
or try adding to grub when booting up

Code: Select all

acpi_osi='!Windows 2015'
or

acpi_osi=! acpi_osi='Windows 2009'
or

acpi_rev_overide=5

by pressing (press shift if grub menu hidden) e and adding to line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_rev_overide=5 acpi_osi='!Windows 2015'"
if it works you can make permanent by editing grub

cd /etc/default
sudo xed grub
sudo update-grub
IdanWolnnec

Post by IdanWolnnec »

firepower wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:39 am try earlier kernel, my laptop gives black screen if i use any kernel after 4.15.0-22
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=276201

Updates Manager > View > Kernel
or try adding to grub when booting up

acpi_osi='!Windows 2015'
or

acpi_osi=! acpi_osi='Windows 2009'
or

acpi_rev_overide=5

by pressing (press shift if grub menu hidden) e and adding to line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_rev_overide=5 acpi_osi='!Windows 2015'"
if it works you can make permanent by editing grub

cd /etc/default
sudo xed grub
sudo update-grub
entered the line in GRUB menu but nothing's changed
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

The suspend problem on laptops with Optimus technology, which I assume you have, when the Nvidia GPU is enabled, had not been solved for a long time, as discussed in this topic in the NVIDIA Linux Graphics forum:
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi ... -940mx-/10

However, post #144 on page 10 says a solution was found recently and added to mainline kernel 4.18.14.

You can install the Ubuntu Kernel Upgrade Utility through a PPA to test that kernel. Use these commands:

sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa
sudo apt update						
sudo apt install ukuu
IdanWolnnec

Post by IdanWolnnec »

roblm wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:11 pm The suspend problem on laptops with Optimus technology, which I assume you have, when the Nvidia GPU is enabled, had not been solved for a long time, as discussed in this topic in the NVIDIA Linux Graphics forum:
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topi ... -940mx-/10

However, post #144 on page 10 says a solution was found recently and added to mainline kernel 4.18.14.

You can install the Ubuntu Kernel Upgrade Utility through a PPA to test that kernel. Use these commands:

sudo apt-add-repository -y ppa:teejee2008/ppa
sudo apt update						
sudo apt install ukuu
Ok I tried installing the kernel.
when i wake the pc from suspend i see the "GPU fallen off the bus" for a second and then i see my regular lock screen.
when i put it in suspend mode i see the "GPU fallen off the bus" for a second and then it goes to suspend mode.
so we can say that kinda fixed it, but when i boot the pc i still have to blindly enter my password and all i see is just a black screen until i see my desktop so that wasn't fixed
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

IdanWolnnec wrote: but when i boot the pc i still have to blindly enter my password and all i see is just a black screen until i see my desktop so that wasn't fixed
Does that problem occur with the Intel GPU or Nvidia GPU selected or both?

Do a Google search using words similar to this: site:linuxmint.com black login screen

Besides changing the kernel, other solutions that have worked for other users is to change the settings in Login Window, such as the background and theme and re-install the Nvidia driver or install a newer driver, but you may need to add this PPA first:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa and then apt update
IdanWolnnec

Post by IdanWolnnec »

roblm wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:23 pm
IdanWolnnec wrote: but when i boot the pc i still have to blindly enter my password and all i see is just a black screen until i see my desktop so that wasn't fixed
Does that problem occur with the Intel GPU or Nvidia GPU selected or both?

Do a Google search using words similar to this: site:linuxmint.com black login screen

Besides changing the kernel, other solutions that have worked for other users is to change the settings in Login Window, such as the background and theme and re-install the Nvidia driver or install a newer driver, but you may need to add this PPA first:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa and then apt update
The nvidia one is selected, google also lead me to the login window in settings but that didn't help, neither did changing the kernel.
There's the option you wrote on re-installing the nvidia drivers but I would like to refrain from doing this because the drivers thing caused some crashes and problems in the past.
the entire black screen on boot problem started when I disabled secure boot through the BIOS menu for a different reason but I re-enabled it within a short period of time.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

IdanWolnnec wrote: the entire black screen on boot problem started when I disabled secure boot through the BIOS menu for a different reason but I re-enabled it within a short period of time.
If Secure Boot is now enabled, then the Nvidia driver will be prevented from loading.
What is the output of these commands: inxi -Gx and mokutil --sb-state

If you want to have Secure Boot enabled for an added layer of security, then the Nvidia kernel modules that were built during the Nvidia driver installation will need to be signed. Many distributions require modules to be signed with a trusted key when loaded into kernels running on UEFI systems with Secure Boot enabled.

For the instructions on how to do this, go down to my second post on page 2 in this topic, under the section:
How to install the Nvidia driver with Secure Boot enabled; for drivers installed using Driver Manager, apt or Synaptic:

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=154932
IdanWolnnec

Post by IdanWolnnec »

roblm wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:33 pm
IdanWolnnec wrote: the entire black screen on boot problem started when I disabled secure boot through the BIOS menu for a different reason but I re-enabled it within a short period of time.
If Secure Boot is now enabled, then the Nvidia driver will be prevented from loading.
What is the output of these commands: inxi -Gx and mokutil --sb-state

If you want to have Secure Boot enabled for an added layer of security, then the Nvidia kernel modules that were built during the Nvidia driver installation will need to be signed. Many distributions require modules to be signed with a trusted key when loaded into kernels running on UEFI systems with Secure Boot enabled.

For the instructions on how to do this, go down to my second post on page 2 in this topic, under the section:
How to install the Nvidia driver with Secure Boot enabled; for drivers installed using Driver Manager, apt or Synaptic:

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=154932
That's what I got:

inxi -Gx
Graphics: Card-1: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller
bus-ID: 00:02.0
Card-2: NVIDIA GF117M [GeForce 610M/710M/810M/820M / GT 620M/625M/630M/720M]
bus-ID: 03:00.0
Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 )
drivers: modesetting,nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
Resolution: 1600x900@60.01hz
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GT 820M/PCIe/SSE2
version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.87 Direct Render: Yes
idan@ :~$ mokutil --sb-state
SecureBoot enabled

secureboot was disabled for less that a day before I re-enabled it.
disabling it started the black screen problem, re-enabling it didn't change anything
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

The Nvidia driver should not be loading on your system. However, during my extensive testing with Secure Boot enabled and disabled, I sometimes saw that the Nvidia driver would still load with Secure Boot enabled but this would only last for a limited number of restarts until the system finally reconfigured itself correctly. Perhaps you have restarted your system only a few times since disabling and re-enabling Secure Boot.
IdanWolnnec

Post by IdanWolnnec »

roblm wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:22 pm The Nvidia driver should not be loading on your system. However, during my extensive testing with Secure Boot enabled and disabled, I sometimes saw that the Nvidia driver would still load with Secure Boot enabled but this would only last for a limited number of restarts until the system finally reconfigured itself correctly. Perhaps you have restarted your system only a few times since disabling and re-enabling Secure Boot.
Yeah i think since i disabled and re-enabled secure boot, the computer was shut down and re-booted only a few times (i normally put it on suspend mode)
IdanWolnnec

Post by IdanWolnnec »

roblm wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:22 pm The Nvidia driver should not be loading on your system. However, during my extensive testing with Secure Boot enabled and disabled, I sometimes saw that the Nvidia driver would still load with Secure Boot enabled but this would only last for a limited number of restarts until the system finally reconfigured itself correctly. Perhaps you have restarted your system only a few times since disabling and re-enabling Secure Boot.
Kernel update solved the problem.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”