AMD/radeon pc with linux

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kukiks

AMD/radeon pc with linux

Post by kukiks »

Hey there, first post.

I've started looking parts for new pc build and I wish to have full amd/radeon combination.

On the stickied post there was link to supported GPU drivers: https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature but I am not too sure how to read it. Apparently ​Radeon RX 5xx graphics are supported?

So here is what I am looking at the moment:
ASRock B450M-HDV, mATX
Radeon RX 580 GAMING, 8GB GDDR5
AMD Ryzen 5 2600, AM4, 3.4 GHz, 6-core

The processor might be a overkill, could ryzen 5 do well? I am subjected to change if necessary and rest of the parts probably do not matter for the functionality of pc that much.
This will be for gaming/video editing and possibly future rendering. I do not care too much about bleeding edge, but of course I'd like to have almost full potential out of my new hardware. So how well would this build work on linux mint or debian in general? Will the future be bright for these parts? can they last 10 years like my previous setup?

EDIT: seems like somebody found that 590 doesn't curently work on linux? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNQ99bH ... u.be&t=489
EDIT: changed mb,gpu and cpu
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
twd78

Re: AMD/radeon pc with linux

Post by twd78 »

RX 590 is not supported right now, you cannot expect that it will be supported with the standard Linux Mint packages for some time.
Here is some further reading:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... Workaround
kukiks

Post by kukiks »

I quess I just have to take gpu one step downwards. I also changed my motherboard to get optical output. This is what I am looking at currently:

G.Skill 16GB (2x8GB), Ripjaws V, DDR4 3200MHz, CL16
Samsung 250GB 970 EVO SSD, M.2 2280, PCIe 3.0 x4, NVMe, 3400/1500 MB/s
Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L mATX-kotelo
AMD Ryzen 5 2600, AM4, 3.4 GHz, 6-core
Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Pulse - 8GB GDDR5 RAM
MSI B450M Mortar, mATX
Seasonic 650W FOCUS+ 650 Gold, modular ATX, 80Plus Gold

I suppose M.2 SSD cards have no problems with linux?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

kukiks wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:24 am I suppose M.2 SSD cards have no problems with linux?
No, absolutely not. Regarding your video card, perhaps it's might be wise to consider an nVidia card. Driver support is much better.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
kukiks

Post by kukiks »

catweazel wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:44 am
nVidia card. Driver support is much better.
Is it though? Honestly I have no experience installing any drivers other than what linux mint offers from the driver manager, but it seems that those amd drivers are easier to install manually than nvidia. Aren't they more up to date when downloaded straight from the AMD website?
twd78

Post by twd78 »

RX 580 should work out of the box without the need to install proprietary drivers.
To have bleeding edge support, you can chose oibaf or padoka PPA.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

twd78 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:31 am RX 580 should work out of the box without the need to install proprietary drivers.
As stated above, the card isn't yet supported. In addition, the OP is buying a top-end card for a reason, and the open source drivers will simply not cut it. Working out of the box and working at optimum performance are not the same thing.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

kukiks wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:52 am Aren't they more up to date when downloaded straight from the AMD website?
That's how people get into trouble. The driver manager will correctly detect an nVidia card and recommend a suitable version.
kukiks

Post by kukiks »

catweazel wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:48 pm
twd78 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:31 am RX 580 should work out of the box without the need to install proprietary drivers.
As stated above, the card isn't yet supported. In addition, the OP is buying a top-end card for a reason, and the open source drivers will simply not cut it. Working out of the box and working at optimum performance are not the same thing.
The earlier 590 which I Was looking for is not supported, but this 580 is older and is supported apparently.
kukiks

Post by kukiks »

I am thinking to order
Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Pulse - 8GB GDDR5 RAM

Does it have any difference to normal 580 version considering linux compatibility?

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”