Display Problems

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
carum carvi

Re: Display Problems

Post by carum carvi »

Good luck with your new install Brandowizard and please let us know if you succeeded. Your experience can convince a lot of other new users with older hardware, that LinuxMint is a great alternative to rejuvinate their older hardware.
Brandowizard

Post by Brandowizard »

I installed Linux Mint Xyfe 18.3 and TeamViewer without any problems and I haven’t experienced a display glitch since I installed this version of Linux Mint. Like you said, LinuxMint is a great way to upgrade older hardware. Because before, Windows Vista ran snail slow on this same computer and now it runs as if it were almost brand new! Thanks for your help and I’ll post again if I experience any more problems.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Brandowizard wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:18 pm I installed Linux Mint Xyfe 18.3 and TeamViewer without any problems and I haven’t experienced a display glitch since I installed this version of Linux Mint. Like you said, LinuxMint is a great way to upgrade older hardware. Because before, Windows Vista ran snail slow on this same computer and now it runs as if it were almost brand new!
Wow, that is great news Brandowizard, I am so glad I could be of help. My 10 year old computer had Windows Vista on it as well. LinuxMint is a much smoother and happier experience for me as well! Enjoy your LinuxMint ride...

Oh, just a reminder. When a solution is found to a post on this forum, please add [SOLVED] to the FIRST post at the beginning of this thread (page1) by editing the title (Display Problems) with the little pencil symbol. In this way other people can easier find a solution to a similar problem with display when they search this forum. And other users who will read your post for the first time and still want to help wont be reading the entire post in vain, because the problem was already solved.
FragmentalStew
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FragmentalStew »

@Brandowizard Did use XFCE solve all of your problems? Have they not returned? I have a similar situation with the 6150se and the graphical glitch.
Brandowizard

Post by Brandowizard »

FragmentalStew wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:50 am @Brandowizard Did use XFCE solve all of your problems? Have they not returned? I have a similar situation with the 6150se and the graphical glitch.
I’m pretty sure using XFCE fixed my problems. I plugged the computer into a display and the problems didn’t occur. But after only 1-2 days I unplugged the computer from the display, and plugged in a dummy plug to use as a headless. So, I’m 90% sure XFCE fixed the problem.
FragmentalStew
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FragmentalStew »

I did some testing, and found a way to reliably make it crash. I start glxdemo and then resize the window. That crashes it every time, regardless of the desktop environment. Instead of installing Linux Mint XFCE edition, I installed the XFCE meta packages and then chose XFCE from the login screen. I've done it before with no issues, but this time I had some problems. I outlined that in this thread viewtopic.php?f=59&t=251354&start=20#p1599077

Other things that might make it crash are moving/resizing the libre office window, or opening chrome from the pane(I turned off acceleration in chrome, and that seemed to solve that)l. I believe that runing XFCE, or any Desktop Environment that doesn't use acceleration, will probably significantly reduce the likelihood that it will crash, but not entirely prevent it or eliminate the cause, which is the buggy nouveau drivers. Cinnamon will be one of the worst offenders since the compositor is built in, but you can probably turn off a lot of effects. I don't think Mate has a compositor. People use Compiz with it but afaik, it's not installed by default. XFCE has a compositor in XFWM, but I don't know if it does anything that could cause crashes.

The only way I've found to absolutely, without a doubt, remove all the crashing from the nouveau drivers is to add

Code: Select all

nouveau.noaccel=1
to the linux boot parameters. This turns off all acceleration, so anything that would normally use acceleration will use the cpu instead. So, for example, in cinnamon moving and resizing windows with effects on will max out the cpu. 3d applications will also max out cpu and run slow. Videos may also max out cpu and have slow playback, or have to play at a lower resolution.

The other alternative is to try to get the Nvidia 304.137 drivers working. On Mint 19 that's a problem, because Ubuntu dropped support for the driver. There are some patches that you can use to patch the driver and then install it manually. Some people reported problems with some errors that were related to h264 playback, possibly caused by broken sym links or something, iirc. But it should be stable, and acceleration for most things should be fine.

Debian still seems to package the driver, however. I'm thinking about trying Linux Mint Debian Edition to see.
RoccoFPV

Post by RoccoFPV »

Not sure if this is the right place, but here it is....
I have problems getting Cura v3.x or 4.x to display correctly on my Mint 19 install (it did work about a month ago).
Screenshot from 2019-07-28 20-48-18.png
The Cura app will work if I login within "Software rendering mode" , is this a driver problem or what?

Any help would be good. Thanks
FragmentalStew
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FragmentalStew »

RoccoFPV wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:20 pm Not sure if this is the right place, but here it is....
I have problems getting Cura v3.x or 4.x to display correctly on my Mint 19 install (it did work about a month ago).
Screenshot from 2019-07-28 20-48-18.png
The Cura app will work if I login within "Software rendering mode" , is this a driver problem or what?

Any help would be good. Thanks
No, this is not the right place. This thread is about problems with drivers for the GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 chipset. Try creating a new topic in the software & applications forum viewforum.php?f=47 or in the graphics cards & monitors forum, if you think it's hardware related, viewforum.php?f=59

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”