<Solved> Displays and GPU missing from NVidia X Server Settings in Live USB mode

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lmg701

<Solved> Displays and GPU missing from NVidia X Server Settings in Live USB mode

Post by lmg701 »

Hello,
I am using Linux Mint MATE 64-bit, and testing out the OS from a live USB right now before I install it, to ensure that it works as expected with my hardware. The only issue I've come across is that my displays and GPU are missing from NVidia X Server Settings, and to my knowledge, I need the displays to be shown there so I can correct the overscan on my secondary display, which is an older flatscreen TV with no way to correct it in the TV's settings. It should be noted that this is a desktop computer and both displays are connected to the graphics card, so neither should be on the Intel Integrated Graphics.
So, first of all, could this issue be because I am running it from a live USB?
If it isn't, what can I try to solve this? I've done some searching, and tried the solution in this post, but the issue persisted.
Now, my system details:
Linux Mint 19.1 MATE Edition, 64-bit
GPU: NVidia GTX 970
Using nvidia-driver-390 version 390.77-0ubuntu0.18.04.1

Below, I have screenshots showing that a.) The displays and GPU are missing from NVidia X Server Settings and b.) I am using the nvidia driver

Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Displays and GPU missing from NVidia X Server Settings

Post by roblm »

lmg701 wrote: So, first of all, could this issue be because I am running it from a live USB?
Yes. Driver Manager shows you installed the Nvidia driver but it will not actually load until your PC is rebooted. If this was done after an actual Mint installation, there would be a Restart button visible.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Re: <Solved> Displays and GPU missing from NVidia X Server Settings in Live USB mode

Post by roblm »

I didn’t answer your question completely. You actually can test a loaded Nvidia driver and a complete and fully working NVidia X Server Settings utility with the Live Mint USB by downloading the driver from Nvidia’s website. A reboot is not needed with this method of installation.

Download the driver: https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverR ... 6120/en-us

I suggest renaming the file so that long filename doesn’t have to be typed later. For example, N-390.77.run. Copy it to a USB drive. Start the Live Mint USB and at the Welcome screen, select "Start in compatibilty mode". If that screen doesn’t show, then press the TAB key.

At the desktop, open the Home folder and copy the Nvidia driver to the mint folder. Press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to enter tty1. For the username, type mint. For the password, just press ENTER. Use this command to stop the display manager:
sudo service lightdm stop

Start the installation: sudo sh N-390.77.run

Ignore any error messages and answer YES when prompted. There will be this screen:
“An incomplete installation of libglvnd was found. Do you want to install a full copy of libglvnd?
This will overwrite any existing libglvnd libraries.”

Select “Install and overwrite”.

At the end of the installation, use this command: sudo service lightdm start

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”