Can't select 1080 resolution for monitor on DVI

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Toran

Can't select 1080 resolution for monitor on DVI

Post by Toran »

Hello, I'm having a small issue with my current Mint install. When I connect my monitor using a HDMI cable I can set the display to the native 1920x1080 and correctly displays the name of it monitor, however when I use a DVI cable it is labelled 'Unknown DVI-D-0' and the resolution will only go as high as 1600x900. I'm sure this worked fine on DVI with my previous version of Mint, and it works fine currently if I boot into Windows 10 instead.

I raise this first as it is the most obvious symptom, but it is not the only graphical strangeness I have found. I recently redistributed some hardware between my two machines and decided to reinstall everything from scratch. I had difficulty installing Mint without using compatibility mode, (the screen appeared black). I got around this by removing the graphics card, connecting the display via VGA on motherboard, then installing an Nvidia driver through apt, then adding the graphics card back in. This now allows me to boot in and displays correctly aside from the resolution issue, I have also seen warnings that hardware acceleration is turned off, if that might be related.

Specs: (I have seen this issue on both of my machines but I'm only trying to fix it on one, the other I'll be using mostly as a server)
Graphics card - GTX 1070
ASUS monitor 23"
Drivers are unclear.
- dmesg mentions nvidia-410 but also 'nvidia: module verification failed'
- Driver manager has the nvidia-driver-410 button lit, but at the bottom says 'No proprietary drivers are in use'
- nvidia-smi says 410
- it was 390 which I installed by hand with apt but in trying to solve this issue I have tried others in Driver Manager

Any pointers would be appreciated!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Can't select 1080 resolution for monitor on DVI

Post by roblm »

You need to post some additional info. Use these commands in the Terminal and post the output:

Code: Select all

inxi -SMCGx
xrandr --prop
lspci -nnk | egrep -A3 -i "3D|VGA"	              
ls /etc/modprobe.d					
dpkg -l | grep -i nvidia		
mokutil --sb-state

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”