Cinnamon unstable (graphics issue).

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JoshMcCullough

Cinnamon unstable (graphics issue).

Post by JoshMcCullough »

I have a Razer Blade Stealth (2018) with Intel 620 integrated graphics. It almost never comes back from "sleep" due to issues with the graphics drivers. I'm using modeset drivers and have tried official Intel drivers as well. Here is what I experience.
  • switching inputs (plug/unplug HDMI/USB-C or close/open lid) takes forever and often yields undesirable results -- some displays don't come on and I have to run xrandr to toggle displays on/off until I get them all working
  • when I go into standby/sleep, and try to resume my session later on, it almost never works, usually it will either log me into a new session (I assume my prior session was closed), or I have to long-hold the power button to cycle the laptop
  • when I try to restore my standby/sleep session, I sometimes see an error on the screen (related to display) but I haven't been able to get a good shot of it to share
This makes it very frustrating when I have to go to a meeting or otherwise move my laptop from one place to another. Note that I dual-boot Windows 10 and do not seem to have these issues, though I am in Mint far more than Windows so I'd also notice it more in Mint than Windows.

Here is some info about my graphics hardware:

Code: Select all

> lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 620 (rev 07)

> glxinfo | grep -i vendor
server glx vendor string: SGI
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
    Vendor: Intel Open Source Technology Center (0x8086)
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center

> egrep -i " connected|card detect|primary dev|Setting driver" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[ 58426.465] (II) modeset(0): Output eDP-1 connected
[ 58426.466] (II) modeset(0): Output DP-2-1 connected

> inxi -Fzx
System:    Host: josh-stealth-mint Kernel: 4.15.0-45-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 
           Desktop: Cinnamon 4.0.9 Distro: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Razer product: Blade Stealth v: 4.06 serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: Razer model: Blade Stealth serial: <filter> UEFI: Razer v: 2.1 date: 12/11/2017 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 47.1 Wh condition: 47.4/53.8 Wh (88%) model: Razer Razer Blade Stealth 
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-8550U bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Kaby Lake rev: A 
           L2 cache: 8192 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 31872 
           Speed: 600 MHz min/max: 400/4000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 600 2: 600 3: 600 4: 600 5: 600 
           6: 600 7: 612 8: 613 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 620 vendor: Razer USA driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
           resolution: 3840x2160~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel UHD Graphics 620 (Kabylake GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa 18.0.5 
           direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio vendor: Razer USA driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 00:1f.3 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-45-generic 
Network:   Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter vendor: Bigfoot Networks 
           driver: ath10k_pci v: kernel port: f040 bus ID: 01:00.0 
           IF: wlp1s0 state: up mac: <filter> 
           Device-2: Atheros type: USB driver: btusb bus ID: 1-6:3 
           IF-ID-1: tun0 state: unknown speed: 10 Mbps duplex: full mac: N/A 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 894.25 GiB used: 97.62 GiB (10.9%) 
           ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: A-Data model: SX8200NP size: 894.25 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 29.41 GiB used: 19.43 GiB (66.1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p6 
           ID-2: /home size: 295.17 GiB used: 78.19 GiB (26.5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p9 
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 4.00 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/nvme0n1p7 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 41.0 C mobo: 29.8 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:      Processes: 394 Uptime: 3h 19m Memory: 15.56 GiB used: 4.99 GiB (32.1%) Init: systemd 
           runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.3.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.19 inxi: 3.0.27 
I love working in Mint, please let me know how I can make this a more enjoyable experience!

UPDATE: I was able to get a literal screen-shot of the error that comes up when resuming from suspend. Hopefully someone has some insight! Sorry, I was rushing to get it before it went away.

See the full size image here. (PS: image size limits should be raised.)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoshMcCullough

Re: Cinnamon unstable (graphics issue).

Post by JoshMcCullough »

I wonder if anyone can chime in here ... I'm nearing my end of patience dealing with this. Every day going to/from work, my machine rarely comes out of suspension and I usually have to hard-power-off-and-on and start anew. This is frustrating, of course, since I then have to re-open everything I was working on and could potentially lose work as well.

Please, someone, anyone -- help!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

It usually helps to post the result of

inxi -Fzx

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
JoshMcCullough

Post by JoshMcCullough »

Moem wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:58 am It usually helps to post the result of

inxi -Fzx
Thanks, added output to OP.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

JoshMcCullough wrote: I have a Razer Blade Stealth (2018) with Intel 620 integrated graphics. It almost never comes back from "sleep" due to issues with the graphics drivers. I'm using modeset drivers and have tried official Intel drivers as well.
How did you try the Intel drivers?

The suspend problem is very common. Over on the Nvidia Linux Graphics forum, it affected Optimus laptops (Intel+Nvidia) for over one and a half years before a new kernel release resolved it. That’s about all you can do. So test the 4.18 kernel in Update Manager and if that doesn’t help, test the older 4.4 kernel. To do that, open Software Sources. Click Additional Repositories and then Add a new repository.
Add this line:

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial-updates main restricted universe multiverse
Click the OK button to update the cache.

Open Update Manager and click Refresh. Click View > Linux kernels. Install the newest 4.4 kernel. Reboot.

At the Grub boot menu select the Advanced Options line. Then select the 4.4 kernel line.
JoshMcCullough

Post by JoshMcCullough »

I will give it a try -- thanks. Don't remember how I installed the Intel drivers, it was a while ago.

Note that I'm no tri-booting with Mint 19.1, Manjaro 18, and Windows 10. The display issue is much better in Manjaro but still not perfect, FWIW. And it works fine in Windows as well.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”