[SOLVED] Swapping Graphics Cards - Drivers etc.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Chrisj01

[SOLVED] Swapping Graphics Cards - Drivers etc.

Post by Chrisj01 »

I was just wondering what the process is, i.e. how to go about it, when swapping out a graphics card.

At the moment I think I am using the AMDGPU open source drivers (but not exactly sure). And I am swapping out a AMD RX470 for a AMD Vega 64, which both use the same driver. So is there any need to do anything with drivers? Is it literally just a case of swapping the cards, booting back up and that’s it?

Cheers :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Chrisj01

Re: Swapping Graphics Cards - Drivers etc.

Post by Chrisj01 »

UPDATE

Since the drivers that would be used are the exact same drivers on both Linux Mint and Windows 10 (I dual boot), I just went ahead and switched the cards without doing anything r.e. the drivers as I wasn't sure but thought it was logical that was what to do.

In Windows, it works perfectly, no drivers issues at all, card is recognised etc all that. But on Linux Mint, there is something seriously messed up happening, there is stuttering/lagging even just at idle, i.e. just like moving cursor around on desktop, and my 1080p HDMI connected monitor is not recognised either and get an error, something about VGA modes not compatible or something (sorry I can't remember exactly what it was).

I have since switched back, but paid a lot of money for the new card so hope it works with Mint as that is my main OS that I use 99% of the time.

EDIT: I am using Mint 18.1, Kernel 4.8. any other info needed just let me know.

Thank you
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

Chrisj01 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:21 pm EDIT: I am using Mint 18.1, Kernel 4.8. any other info needed just let me know.
The newer AMD Vega 64 card needs the support from a newer kernel and driver. Install Mint 19.1.
Chrisj01

Post by Chrisj01 »

If that is literally the only way to get it to work, I guess I'll have to, but if there is a way to get it to work on 18.1 that would be ideal. I did install the latest driver, I will try updating the kernel.
Chrisj01

Re: [SOLVED] Swapping Graphics Cards - Drivers etc.

Post by Chrisj01 »

Well my workaround was to buy a new boot driver, keep my old install where it was and install 19.1 on new SSD. And now with 19.1 there is no issues with my new AMD Vega 64!

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”