Do Nvidia GPUs actually work with Mint 19?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SpectralLine

Do Nvidia GPUs actually work with Mint 19?

Post by SpectralLine »

I'm currently experiencing a whole host of issues with my Mint Cinnamon 19 installation, to the point where I've decided a fresh install is all I can do. One thing that seems to be recurring throughout most, if not all of my issues, is not having a working Nvidia driver. So before I do a fresh install - is there a version of Mint that is stable and works with an Nvidia 1050Ti graphics card, or should I just abandon this distro all together? I know it's an Ubuntu derivative, but would vanilla Ubuntu have better support for this sort of thing?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
carum carvi

Re: Do Nvidia GPUs actually work with Mint 19?

Post by carum carvi »

Welcome to the forum SpectralLine,

Just as you I experienced great troubles with making my Nvidea graphics card run on Linux. Quite unsettling I can imagine to experience this. But there is an easy solution. Use the Linux Nouveau graphics driver and all your problems probalby will be solved with one mouse click.

After a new install, select Driver Management at the Welcome Screen. And select the Nouveau Driver. Even if the Nvidea driver is being recommended. Nvidea is constantly recommended for my system as well in previous Linux OS, but simply selecting the nouveau driver solved all my graphics issues.

If you have issues with your Nvidea card in LinuxMint chances are great you will have the same problems in other Linux OS.

Only in case trying out my suggestion of selecting the Nouveau driver doesnt work, then please report back for more detailed help by posting your specs of your hardware so that other forumembers can be of better help to you.

Copy the following command into your Terminal. ( You can find the Terminal software in your Menu)

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

It's really hit-and-miss with Nvidia drivers and Linux in general, not just Mint. I've been lucky - my GeForce 960X runs flawlessly on Mint XFCE 19.1, using the Ubuntu PPA and driver version 415.25.

How are you installing the drivers?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Yes. Very well indeed.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”