Linux 19.1 Mate not recognizing TV screen size properly, cuts off right hand side

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sadistic_sponge

Linux 19.1 Mate not recognizing TV screen size properly, cuts off right hand side

Post by Sadistic_sponge »

I'm a linux newbie with a brand new install of Linux Mint MATE 19.1.

The issue: Right now the HDMI out on my machine is not outputting to the right dimensions. The right side of the screen is cutting off by an inch or two, (e.g. the date is cut off a bit) and display settings show that linux detects a 50" TV screen as 72". Resolution is proper 1080p, but scaling is incorrect. I can take a picture later if needed. The problem might in two parts- first, the output is way big, leading to everything getting cut off. But even when I lower resolution to a 4:3 mode or use "just scan" settings on my TV to resize the image, we the right side of the screen is cut off a little bit.

The machine: is a dell optiplex 3010; outputting via HDMI powered by the intel HD2500 onboard integrated graphics unit. The drivers for the integrated graphics seem to be behaving properly- I'm away from machine but can post inxi -Fxz output when I'm back. The display is a LG 50LN5400, although Linux detects something different entirely.

Right now the main things I've tried based on my searches include include:
  • Updating the Linux Kernel to the most recent build available in the update manager

Switching the various inputs on the TV, tuning off "just-scan" mode- this made the problem worse, not better, since that meant the TV no longer tried to scrunch down the blown up image. In fact, as noted earlier, I think "just scan" mode fixes problem #1, leaving a properly scaled image that really, truly just doesn't contain a bit of the right hand side.

Checked for proprietary drivers in the driver manager, found none.

Rebuilt the HD2500 drivers. Didn't seem to do anything
Thank you for any advice you might be able to provide!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Linux 19.1 Mate not recognizing TV screen size properly, cuts off right hand side

Post by lsemmens »

I had similar issues with my machine, too. In the end it was a fix by adjusting the aspect ratio on the TV and not it Linux. Perhaps have a look there,

Oh! And welcome to Linux. You'll find the natives friendly.:D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Sadistic_sponge

Re: Linux 19.1 Mate not recognizing TV screen size properly, cuts off right hand side

Post by Sadistic_sponge »

Thanks for replying. As mentioned in my original post, I did fiddle around with my TV settings to see if I could get it to align better with no real luck. For now I've got a preliminary solution: If I turn the minimizer arrows/spots for the menu bar on, it nudges everything to the side just a hair. Then, the cutting off isn't visible. The problem only seems to happen on the desktop, not on games, so I'll accept it for now!
dkfan9

Post by dkfan9 »

I dont know the root cause of your problem, but the listed 72" size is likely an EDID artifact. A lot of widescreen tvs have a generic size of 1600x900mm listed as their display size in EDID.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”