How to install GPU driver?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DangerDuD

How to install GPU driver?

Post by DangerDuD »

Im new to linux. so i dont know much about linux.
My gpu is ATI redon HD 5450
How can i install driver for my gpu so that my video quality enhanced :)
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: How to install GPU driver?

Post by Pierre »

try using - Menu - Control Center - - Administration - Driver Manager ..

this should then search for any available Device Drivers & display any drivers that are available.

should this come back, with 'no drivers found' - - then you must install those drivers, manually.

and to assist us, somewhat - - type this into Terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
and copy the result, back here, on your reply.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
whatausername64

Post by whatausername64 »

Pierre wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:47 am try using - Menu - Control Center - - Administration - Driver Manager ..

this should then search for any available Device Drivers & display any drivers that are available.

should this come back, with 'no drivers found' - - then you must install those drivers, manually.
Isn't that only for proprietary drivers? Even then, their AMD graphics card wouldn't be listed on there since AMDGPU nor AMDGPU-Pro supports their gpu, with it being an old card. Only the open-source radeon drivers, which already would've been installed, supports the HD 5450.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

yeah - amdgpu is also open-source & amdgpu-pro is the new proprietary driver,, but only supports newer chipsets. ..
and
Depending on your exact graphics hardware, Ubuntu 16.04 will use either the open-source AMDGPU driver or the open-source Radeon driver, both of which are included in the default Ubuntu installation. The amdgpu driver, pre-installed in 16.04, is used for AMD's newest graphics cards. The radeon driver, also pre-installed in 16.04, is used for older AMD graphics cards that the amdgpu driver doesn't support (your graphics card was launched in 2010).

so - it would still pay to check with the Driver Manager, as the OP didn't specify, which LinuxMint that was being used.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
DangerDuD

Post by DangerDuD »

From driver manager i got nothing :(
Screenshot from 2019-02-10 21-08-21.png
And from amd website i found this
Screenshot from 2019-02-10 21-07-01.png
Will this work? :?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Do NOT install AMD Catalyst drivers form their site, dl'ing drivers from a mfr's site is actually usually a bad idea in Linux, unlike WInodws, but especially so with AMD. That would break your video, for sure. Catalyst hasn't been supported in Linux releases for some time and if still it were that card's too old for it.

Sorry, there's no magic driver here. You have the open source radeon driver. That's the only one there is for those cards.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
DangerDuD

Post by DangerDuD »

Hoser Rob wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:27 am Do NOT install AMD Catalyst drivers form their site, dl'ing drivers from a mfr's site is actually usually a bad idea in Linux, unlike WInodws, but especially so with AMD. That would break your video, for sure. Catalyst hasn't been supported in Linux releases for some time and if still it were that card's too old for it.

Sorry, there's no magic driver here. You have the open source radeon driver. That's the only one there is for those cards.
How should i know which one is installed now? If there's no drivers installed the how to installed? Any link would be helpful too if u don't have time
LisaRobertsI7

Post by LisaRobertsI7 »

Before you install the new card, you need to make sure older drivers for the card you're replacing are uninstalled
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<mod> locking old thread, because the thread starter has never followed up on this thread. No use resurrecting the thread. No use continuing it. </mod>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”