Black Screen After GRUB on Linux Mint 19 Mate - After NVIDIA Install

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alishan93

Black Screen After GRUB on Linux Mint 19 Mate - After NVIDIA Install

Post by alishan93 »

Hi ! Need Help !

I have been trying to install NVIDIA-410 drivers on freshly installed linux mint 19 Mate 64bit, however after a reboot the screen goes black, although I can access the CLI interface with ctrl + Alt + F1, I managed to install nvidia prime and using prime select to change the drivers to intel, I was able to reboot and get into the GUI mode. I have added nomodeset into the GRUB prior to that. Now if I have to change to nvidia driver, I have to do prime select, log out from session and log in again to use NVIDIA graphic card. This is a hectic and a bad hack , how to solve this issue permanently ?

Solutions I have tried :
- blacklisted nouveau at multiple places (I don't remember , followed every blog around the corner)
- Installed Linux mint 19 , 5-6 times now ( feels like a more than hundred times)

Thanks for taking out time to read it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Black Screen After GRUB on Linux Mint 19 Mate - After NVIDIA Install

Post by Hoser Rob »

Kinda sounds like that was the wrong nvidia driver, many beginners follow their Windows reflexes and dl the newest driver from the mfr's site. That's usually the wrong approach in Linux. The most reliable way to get the right driver is Mint Driver Manager, the one they recommend is usually right.

You also need to post some useful system info, copy/paste this to the terminal and copy./paste the text output here (no screenshots plz):

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”