How do I install AMD Radeon HD 5670 proprietary drivers?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ziad

How do I install AMD Radeon HD 5670 proprietary drivers?

Post by Ziad »

I'm completely new to linux mint and I have just installed linux mint 19.1 but when I tried to install my amd radeon hd 5670 drivers from the driver manager it said no proprietary drivers are in use so I tried to download them from the official site and I downloaded this zip file (amd-catalyst-15.9-linux-installer-15.201.1151-x86.x86_64.zip) but I don't know how to install it so please if anyone knows how to install it please tell me how step by step because I am completely clueless :(
if this is going to help my pc name is optiplex 3010
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How do I install AMD Radeon HD 5670 proprietary drivers?

Post by deepakdeshp »

Please post output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
command in code tags.
Many of the AMD CPUs aren't supported for Linux drivers. You should be able to search for them. if you forcefully try installing the drivers on unsupported AMD CPUs, there are good chance to bork the system.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

AMD dropped linux support for your video card a while ago. Your radeon/ati drivers that are included within the linux kernel are the best that you can get.

(Suggestion: If you don't like it, talk to AMD support)
RemonK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RemonK »

I have the Hawk R5770
Guessing the same for me too.. no support?
Het leven is net een kartbaan; Sensatie, adrenaline en veel te snel voorbij!
Joeptjoep - Feestboek
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

RemonK wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:29 am I have the Hawk R5770
Guessing the same for me too.. no support?
Yup, though they ARE actually technically supported, just by the radeon driver though.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
RemonK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RemonK »

And these are already installed standard with Mint?

Graphics:  Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Juniper XT [Radeon HD 5770] driver: radeon v: kernel 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: ati,modesetting,radeon unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
           resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz, 1360x768~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: AMD JUNIPER (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.15.0-45-generic LLVM 7.0.0) v: 3.3 Mesa 18.2.2 
Joeptjoep - Feestboek
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

RemonK wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:59 pm And [the open source "radeon" driver is] already installed standard with Mint?
Yes. And the thing I always like to point out in these threads is that AMD contributed heavily to the "radeon" driver when it dropped support for the Catalyst driver on Linux and that it as such performs at about the same level as Catalyst ever did. There's differences certainly in hybrid graphics situations, but if you are a normal user don't just assume that a proprietary, closed-source driver would be better for you; it isn't generally.
RemonK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RemonK »

The graphics are ok, did not find any abnormalities.. i'm not a big gamer anymore, but i sometimes like to play COD4 MW with my nephew on my private server. I guess that is not possible??
Joeptjoep - Feestboek
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Steam says no, or not natively at least, but not due to your graphics card and/or driver but simply due to no Linux version of it existing. If it did/does, it would run fine. I'm using older Radeon HD cards myself (5770 and 6850) and haven't found there to be a significant difference with Windows for games/things for which a native Linux version exists (although I'll add to that that I'm rather decidedly not a gamer, most definitely not an FPS person).

Getting the game running through Wine or alike is not something I could help you with; others probably can.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Ziad, & RemonK, etc...

It is not recommended to try and install AMD proprietary drivers unless they are current. But, you could install updated video drivers using various PPA's which Steam recommends and from what I have read work very well. Always update your system afterward and reboot. See my quote box below on how to install. All the Links are worth reading and for reference.

How to Install AMD Radeon Drivers on Ubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish Linux - LinuxConfig.org
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install- ... fish-linux

How to Install The Latest AMD Radeon Drivers on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver Linux - LinuxConfig.org
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install- ... aver-linux

Mesa 18.1.1 is Now Available to Install on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS - OMG! Ubuntu!
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/06/mes ... -18-04-ppa

Favorite MESA PPA? - Software & Operating Systems / Linux - Level1Techs Forums
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/favorit ... ppa/129762

Padoka Stable PPA : Paulo Dias - mesa drivers
https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dia ... untu/pkppa

Ubuntu 17.10 Radeon Performance: Stock vs. X-Swat Updates vs. Oibaf PPA vs. Pkppa vs. Padoka PPA - Phoronix
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... mesa&num=1

Steam Video Requirements · ValveSoftware/Proton Wiki
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton ... quirements
phd21 wrote:I use a combination of these "oibaf" and "pkppa" and so far there have been no conflicts. The "oibaf" has daily updates. You can also use the "x-swat" PPA instead of the "oibaf", but the "oibaf" is very current.

To install these using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste ("Shift+Insert" or "Ctrl+Shift+v"), repeat for each command.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:paulo-miguel-dias/pkppa

sudo apt-get update
Previous post
*** Steam wont start when install from software manager - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=285575&hilit=steam+video

How to Install and Use Steam Play on Linux - LinuxConfig.org
https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install- ... y-on-linux

*** GloriousEggroll's Blog » For the new guys on Ubuntu 18.04!
https://www.gloriouseggroll.tv/for-the- ... on-ubuntu/

How To Use Steam Play to Play Windows Games on Linux - Make Tech Easier
https://www.maketecheasier.com/steam-pl ... mes-linux/

ProtonDB | Game Details for Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
https://www.protondb.com/app/7940

HOW TO FIX STEAM COD4! (Steam Version 1.8 Bug Fix!) - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUPf-LISjsc

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

phd21 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:58 pm It is not recommended to try and install AMD proprietary drivers.
Why is it so?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
RemonK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RemonK »

Thank you very much for all the info! If i'm going to setup my server again, i will check out all the links! :D

What is Steam and do i need it?? I am not playing online, i'm not playing pro or so.. , only on my little private server mostly with max 4 persons.. just for fun! Shooting the shit out of my little nephew because he thinks he can beat this 'oldie'! :lol: (I am dating from the Quake3 Arena, BattleField 1945 and Mohaa era!! Even Wolfenstein, DOOM and DukeNukem (yeah baby!) :mrgreen: )
Man i'm getting old! :roll:

But i got a Virtualbox running with Win7 64bit. Is it possible to run COD4MW in there or is that too much?
I read everywhere that you better not use Wine, better to use Crossover. I looked at it and it supports COD. But that's not free..
Joeptjoep - Feestboek
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

RemonK wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:21 am What is Steam and do i need it??
Steam is the (by far) largest PC gaming platform, both in the sense of a store and a "community". Through especially its sometimes up to 90%-off sales it can actually be good fun even for non gamers such as myself. GOG.com is also nice to keep an eye on. But I mentioned Steam only in the sense of it being useful to check availability; i.e., only a Windows and Mac logo, no Penguin one on https://store.steampowered.com/app/7940 ... n_Warfare/
RemonK wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:21 am But i got a Virtualbox running with Win7 64bit. Is it possible to run COD4MW in there or is that too much?
I read everywhere that you better not use Wine, better to use Crossover. I looked at it and it supports COD. But that's not free..
A VM will not generally do; 3D graphics support in e.g. VirtualBox is basic to say the least. If you these days have VT-d and two GPU's one of which can be dedicated to a Windows VM then everything works great through KVM; if not, everything works effectively not at all.

In which sense also I find it to be masochist to even try Windows-gaming of anything much beyond the DOS era on Linux if you don't have a setup as above, which I from the HD5770 derive you have not. Many native Linux titles are available these days but if you have a want for Windows-gaming, just use Windows, on a secondary machine or if need be a dual-boot, and ignore everyone telling you you need not since all's working fine though e.g. Wine. I've yet to encounter a situation where that's actually true; normally Windows-gaming on Linux just sucks anus plain and simple.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "catweazel",
phd21 wrote:It is not recommended to try and install AMD proprietary drivers.
catweazel wrote:Why is it so?
I should have added "unless they are very current drivers" for your specific Linux version to that comment. And, from what I read the AMD proprietary Linux drivers are no better than the open source Linux drivers provided by the PPA's and Linux Mint 19.x or Ubuntu 18.04 + systems.

The one Link does provide instructions for installing the AMD proprietary drivers for Linux. But if it were me, I would backup first or at least use a snapshot application before installing those just in case.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "RemonK",
RemonK wrote:Thank you very much for all the info! If i'm going to setup my server again, i will check out all the links! :D
You are welcome...
RemonK wrote:What is Steam and do i need it?? I am not playing online, i'm not playing pro or so.. , only on my little private server mostly with max 4 persons.. just for fun!
As "Rene" just mentioned, Steam is a famous gaming system and provides Linux support even for playing most MS Windows games. Steam also has a lot of other software, and you can watch movies, and other stuff, etc...

I also read that COD4MW does work under the Linux Wine system too.
How to Run Multiplayer Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Promod LIVE) using Wine on GNU/Linux - Mamadou Babaei
https://www.babaei.net/blog/how-to-run- ... gnu-linux/

I read that you can setup your own COD4MW server as well or perhaps add that to your existing server. What type of server do you have MS Windows or Linux, or something else?

Install CoD 4 Modern Warfare as a Dedicated Server on Linux – Linux Support in Adelaide & Melbourne | Redhat Partner
https://www.agix.com.au/install-cod-4-m ... -on-linux/

Call of Duty 4 - LinuxGSM
https://linuxgsm.com/lgsm/cod4server/
RemonK wrote:But i got a Virtualbox running with Win7 64bit. Is it possible to run COD4MW in there or is that too much?
If you have a lot of computer resources a really fast and good multi-core CPU and a lot of system memory (8-16gb +) and a very good video card with its own GPU and video memory, then you could use Virtualbox to run anything MS Windows related including Games. Or as was also stated, just dual-boot MS Windows and run that for the MS Windows only games.

Hope this helps ...
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

phd21 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:42 pm I should have added "unless they are very current drivers" for your specific Linux version to that comment. And, from what I read the AMD proprietary Linux drivers are no better than the open source Linux drivers provided by the PPA's and Linux Mint 19.x or Ubuntu 18.04 + systems.

The one Link does provide instructions for installing the AMD proprietary drivers for Linux. But if it were me, I would backup first or at least use a snapshot application before installing those just in case.
Thanks for that.

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
RemonK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RemonK »

rene wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:50 am A VM will not generally do; 3D graphics support in e.g. VirtualBox is basic to say the least. If you these days have VT-d and two GPU's one of which can be dedicated to a Windows VM then everything works great through KVM; if not, everything works effectively not at all.

In which sense also I find it to be masochist to even try Windows-gaming of anything much beyond the DOS era on Linux if you don't have a setup as above, which I from the HD5770 derive you have not. Many native Linux titles are available these days but if you have a want for Windows-gaming, just use Windows, on a secondary machine or if need be a dual-boot, and ignore everyone telling you you need not since all's working fine though e.g. Wine. I've yet to encounter a situation where that's actually true; normally Windows-gaming on Linux just sucks anus plain and simple.
i5 quad core with a little overclock (but has good potention to go very far), 16gb G.Skill also overclocked so that's not the bottleneck. Since i'm not that gamer anymore i did not upgrade my graphic card the last time. So that probably IS the bottleneck. But reading all the info, seeing what i have to do for this, knowing the bottleneck, i think a dual boot is the most easiest and best way to do it..

Anyway i want to thank everybody who provided me with al the info! :D

Edit: So for me this topic is [SOLVED] !
Joeptjoep - Feestboek

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”