Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Markou10
Level 1
Level 1

Disabling Internal laptop monitor

Post by Markou10 » Wed May 15, 2019 4:25 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with disabling internal monitor. I'm running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.1. So i set my TV display (1920x1080) as primary in Display settings, turned off my laptop display (1366x768) and I have everything working fine but can't see anything (BIOS, recovery menu,etc) on TV untill mint logo. I updated to kernel 4.18 but it's causing freezes so I wanted to switch back to 4.15 and can't because I can't see anything on the TV screen when I try to bring up grub and laptop screen is unusable. Also I noticed that my laptop screen is still on when I open the lid, so I edited the grub with "video=DP-1-1=1:d video=HDMI-1-1=1:e". That also didn't help. Laptop screen is still on when lid is opened and I can't see anything before mint logo. I want to set TV as primary and only monitor because laptop screen has a problem with lines (COF bonding on t-con is my guess because the picture changes when I press on one of the COFs). Can someone tell me if that can be done with my hardware at all so I can stop scratching my head if it can't. I tried going into BIOS and pressing Fn+F4 (to switch monitors) but nothing happens, it just beeps like I don't have that function (maybe I don't), tried to close the lid as soon as I press the power button and tried with magnet but it didn't work. I only didn't try to disconnect the LVDS cable. It's late now so I'll try that tomorow. Also when I run xrandr -q I get that my laptop screen is disconnected and VGA is disconnected (even though I don't have a VGA output, at least a physical VGA jack) and HDMI is connected and primary. So how does the laptop screen still working? hp pavilion 15-p153nm, Intel 3540, nvidia 830m 2gb, 4gb ddr3l, 15.6" 1366x768 LP156WHB (TP) (C1) panel. Don't know how to post command outputs since I just made an account and I'm writting from my phone. Thanks

polarvortex
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Disabling Internal laptop monitor

Post by polarvortex » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:49 am

If you physically unplug the laptop monitor would that achieve what you are trying to do? It should be a ribbon inside the laptop that you can unplug.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”