My all-Mint MacBook... and a few issues remaining.

Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
shonkin
Level 1
Level 1

My all-Mint MacBook... and a few issues remaining.

Post by shonkin » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:15 pm

Okay, people. I wiped OSX off my MacBook Pro late-2011. And overall... wow, GREAT! But a few problems remain.

Very short version? I did a software/hardware hack first to deal with the EFI settings / bogus Radeon 6770M card. In short, I first (via directions from smarter people) turned the Radeon off with a software hack. I then killed the card dead by removing a tiny resister on the circuit board. Yes, with a soldering iron (I hope I never do that again!).

But here's the issue.... my fans! There are two fan apps in linux I've seen that deal with fan speed. Unfortunately, because I removed that resister, I *think* (no proof) that some of the temps are being reported to the apps incorrectly... or not at all. I'm in need of anyone who understands how they work if (a) there's a way to gear down the fans without the app continually checking temps, or (b) at least telling me which temperature diode or whatever it is I killed along with the video chip (I believe they are numbered).

Anyway, I do want to thank the Mint folks for a great alternative for an old MacBook. A classy bit of hardware (except for the Radeon) and though the internal video card isn't as powerful, it is powerful enough. (I can post a link to the directions re doing what I did if anyone wants them... but again, not for the faint of heart.)

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”