Forum rules
Before you post please read this
wanderingaria
Level 1
Level 1

screen tearing or glitching on GeForce 9400

Post by wanderingaria » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:50 pm

hey!

pretty new here with linux, but I am having quite the troubles finding any information on this issue I am having with graphics drivers on an old (2009?) imac desktop that I recently booted linux mint 19.2 onto. Decided to give it a shot cause this imac is pretty clunky, and I am just hoping to learn more about linux so that I can configure a better OS on my current pc build.

ok so...
from the terminal, giving the command: " inxi -G "
terminal tells me that my graphics card is a GeForce 9400, and that my graphics driver is Nvidia version 340.107

Now, the issue that I have..
When I have the nouveau graphics driver selected in my driver manager, everything seems to be running smoothly, with the exception of very noticeable screen tearing on any online video streaming... not ideal imo
and
When I have the nvidia driver selected, my screen tearing issues are gone, but my desktop is continuously glitching vertically (see here https://imggmi.com/full/2019/8/11/e6350 ... l.jpg.html) confusing

at the moment I have both the nvidia, and nouveau driver installed. I attempted to blacklist and uninstall the nouveau driver, and this did not seem to be of any effect..

I assume that I am missing something fairly simple here, but any help or advice with this issue would be greatly appreciated!

wanderingaria
Level 1
Level 1

Re: screen tearing or glitching on GeForce 9400

Post by wanderingaria » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:52 pm

bump

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:12 pm

Wanderingaria, welcome to the LinuxMint forum,

Great that you got LinuxMint running on your old Apple computer!

Nvidia graphics have been known to cause issues on Linux for many years now. In the driver manager it probably states that Nvidia is the recommended driver, but you can safely ignore that "advice". I have disabled Nvidia because it messed up my desktop as well and instead accepted some screentearing with the Nouveau driver installed.

What kind of browser are you using to watch youtube? Firefox or Chromium/Chrome? I seem to recollect that in some cases changing browser does help with troubling video performance.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:52 pm

carum carvi wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:12 pm

Nvidia graphics have been known to cause issues on Linux for many years now. In the driver manager it probably states that Nvidia is the recommended driver, but you can safely ignore that "advice".
<shakes head>

It might apply to iMacs but it's not a generic issue. I would offer to help the OP but my Mac knowledge is less than zero. I don't even know what one looks like.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

wanderingaria
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wanderingaria » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:09 pm

catweazel wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:52 pm

<shakes head>

It might apply to iMacs but it's not a generic issue. I would offer to help the OP but my Mac knowledge is less than zero. I don't even know what one looks like.
yeah ya know, its like red, sometimes green, is crunchy when you bite into it, has a cult following... that kinda mac :lol:
carum carvi wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:12 pm

Nvidia graphics have been known to cause issues on Linux for many years now. In the driver manager it probably states that Nvidia is the recommended driver, but you can safely ignore that "advice". I have disabled Nvidia because it messed up my desktop as well and instead accepted some screentearing with the Nouveau driver installed.

What kind of browser are you using to watch youtube? Firefox or Chromium/Chrome? I seem to recollect that in some cases changing browser does help with troubling video performance.
thanks for the reply carum carvi. I just tried using firefox as my browser, and it still has tearing. is there possibly a different browser that you would recommend using instead? I was considering downloading a video directly to the hard drive and seeing if there is still tearing with direct playback.

wanderingaria
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wanderingaria » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:23 pm

Okay so I just tried downloading a video, and the playback on download is acceptably smooth compared to streaming. problem solved?? guess i'll just download every video i ever want to watch hahaa

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:51 am

Fortunately downloading helps as a workaround method. That's nice. I have often downloaded videos myself as well to prevent video from online stuttering / screentearing.

Sometimes though Firefox Preferences can be changed, which might have a positive effect on screentearing as well. It's a quick fix, when it works.

Inside of Firefox :Edit / Preferences / General / Performance / Use recommended performance settings, you first have to DEselect the mark button in front of the " use the recommended...". Then a new submenu will appear in which you will have to select the option to disable hardware acceleration. This sometimes helps with screentearing. It has helped me on 1 occasion as well, but on other occasions it unfortunately didnt.

Did you use Chrome / Chromium before? I had worse online video performance with Chrome, but some people have better performance. I think it had to do with the sort of video codecs that are being used.

It's a smart move to use your old Mac for testing purposes with LM19.2. With such an old machine some errors that can not be solved are unfortunately inevitable. Just for "fun", you could look in your program Logs, to see what kind of errors the submenu Important has got. Double click on each error to see which error level it is. Level 1 is urgent. 2 or 3 or anything above it, is not urgent. I have 6 important errors, but none of error level 1 and my 10 year old computer still does run LM19.2 flawlessly. Without screentearing :D

An afterthought; are you using Xfce? Because Xfce is known to cause screentearing in LM19 as a side effect of solving another bug.
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=299596&hilit=scree ... g#p1670792

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”