Forum rules
Before you post please read this
shishkovdima
Level 1
Level 1

(GTX980Ti) OpenCL slower then on Windows 7

Post by shishkovdima » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:32 pm

Hello everyone,

I am a total noob in Linux so please excuse me in advance, if I ask stupid questions. I am a 3D designer and have been working a lot with Houdini lately. I heard a lot of great stuff about Linux, especially about it's stability and performance and decided to give it a try. I installed it as dual boot alongside Windows 7 on my PC at home. Yesterday I did a couple tests to see the difference in performance between Windows 7 and Linux Mint. I did a pretty simple fluid simulation in Houdini. The solver responsible for fluid simulation uses OpenCL to speed up the simulation. I simulated 100 frames in Windows and in Linux with OpenCL acceleration on and off. The sim with OpenCL acceleration on turned out to be around 12% slower on Linux compared to Windows 7. On the other hand the simulation with OpenCL acceleration off was faster by around 30% on Linux then on Windows. On Houdini forums I read that OpenCL worked for them faster on Linux then on Windows. This is why I am having doubts. Maybe due to my lack of knowledge and understanding I setup something incorrectly and it affects the work of the GPU.

I am using GTX980Ti with proprietary drivers. I tried to run the test with the latest drivers and with older drivers (the info below will show older drivers which I left for now), results are almost identical.

Here is the information about the system and hardware I got from terminal with inxi -b command:

Code: Select all

System:
  Host: dima-PC Kernel: 4.15.0-58-generic x86_64 bits: 64 
  Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.3 Distro: Linux Mint 19.2 Tina 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: ASUS product: All Series v: N/A 
  serial: <root required> 
  Mobo: ASUSTeK model: H97M-E v: Rev X.0x serial: <root required> 
  UEFI: American Megatrends v: 0336 date: 05/22/2014 
CPU:
  Quad Core: Intel Core i7-4790K type: MT MCP speed: 1796 MHz 
  min/max: 800/4400 MHz 
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GM200 [GeForce GTX 980 Ti] driver: nvidia v: 390.129 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: nvidia 
  resolution: 1920x1200~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 980 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.129 
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
  driver: r8169 
  Device-2: Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter driver: rtl8192ce 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 1.14 TiB used: 41.32 GiB (3.5%) 
Info:
  Processes: 221 Uptime: 22m Memory: 15.61 GiB used: 1.52 GiB (9.8%) 
  Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.32
Could you please tell me, if I am doing something wrong? Maybe I need some additional drivers or something else to make my GPU work to it's fullest. Or maybe I am misunderstanding something and the results I get are to be expected with my setup?

Thanks in advance for any help. I will definitely be doing some more tests when I have some free time and learning to work with Linux. For now decided to ask experts.

Best wishes,
Dima

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”