Forum rules
Before you post please read this
80s_Fan
Level 2
Level 2

Can't get image to my HDTV as 2nd monitor

Post by 80s_Fan » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:06 pm

Hey guys...
I've read other topics on this and tried a few of the solutions... none worked. So the quick story:

Got a laptop, put mint on it, yay. Works great. Noticed laptop has displayport. Wanted to see if I could use a displayport to hdmi cable to get a huge image on my 4k hdtv. I plugged cable into laptop, other end into hdtv hdmi slot. No image. Swiched hdmi slots. No image.

I dunno if it's a driver-thing going on or what. The laptop image is fine on the laptop screen. 4k tv image for cable tv and PS4 are fine. The displayport to hdmi cable is new, just got it in the mail.

I'm running Linux Mint 19 (tara). The HDTV is a 4k Hisense H8C 50inch tv. Laptop is HP Zbook 15 (G1 I think) and has that hybrid grafx thing going on... nvidia/intel. If anyone needs more info please do ask!

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Can't get image to my HDTV as 2nd monitor

Post by WharfRat » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:30 pm

Did you try shutting down the laptop and restarting it with the HDMI cable connected :?
ImageImage

80s_Fan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 80s_Fan » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:34 pm

Yep, I tried that. It seems as if the laptop isn't even putting out the signal from the display port to the tv. Could be a driver issue? I have the intel/nvidia hybrid thing going on, but when I switch to each one... the control panels for each grafx chip has no setting for a dual monitor at all. No settings at all, period! No anisotropic filtering, no vsync, no options for anything.

80s_Fan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 80s_Fan » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:44 pm

OK, as I thought... I rebooted, went into bios, selected my other SSD with Win7 on it. I had a hunch the tv would bring in the picture. I booted into win7 and saw that the nvidia card was now selected on its own in the win7 taskbar (icon was now visible). Not the intel icon and I always leave it on intel enabled. Win7 detected the displayport cable and auto enabled the nvidia chip. I looked at the tv and sure enough... my laptop was displaying on it.

So it's a driver issue. My win7 setup has the nvidia driver program to let me set up all the goodies. ANisotropic, all the other settings. My Linux setup just has the official nvidia driver (via the driver update program in mint). Is there an nvidia control panel for Linux too? That seems to be what im missing! I apparently have the driver and not the whole suite/panel program. I need to do some research here lol

roblm
Level 11
Level 11

Post by roblm » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:53 pm

If you’re seeing this below when you open Nvidia Settings, after selecting the Nvidia GPU, then the Nvidia driver is not loading.

nvidia-settings prime-profiles-empty.png

Open the Terminal, use this command and copy the output: inxi -SMCGx; xrandr --verbose; mokutil --sb-state; ls /lib/modprobe.d

Open the Mint Forum reply window and select </> at the top. Press Ctrl+V to paste the copied lines into a code display window.
Last edited by roblm on Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

80s_Fan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 80s_Fan » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:45 pm

Ok, I've been busy but finally back to look into this. So I installed a few different drivers, after which mint said I was running in software render mode. Weird. But the nvidia control panel NOW works! I tried viewing my laptop screen on my hdtv again... and I'm seeing the desktop wallpaper. Nothing more. No linux mint bar at the bottom, no mouse cursor, no deskop icons, just a background. Laptop image is fine, hdtv just show background.

Anyone wanna take a poke at this?!

RIH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RIH » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:56 pm

I think that you need to go into Settings - Monitor
& tell Mint what you want there.
Currently it seems that the TV is set up as an extension of the Monitor.
If what you want is to Mirror (be the same image as) the Monitor you need to tell it so there..
Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-66-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.3
Distro: Linux Mint 19.2

80s_Fan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by 80s_Fan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:06 am

RIH wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:56 pm
I think that you need to go into Settings - Monitor
& tell Mint what you want there.
Currently it seems that the TV is set up as an extension of the Monitor.
If what you want is to Mirror (be the same image as) the Monitor you need to tell it so there..
Yes! it worked! I guess Windows 7 just does this automatically because there's no issue with nvidia drivers/control panel on Win7. However, problem half-solved.

I still have the weird issue of installing a different driver (via driver manager and using a different ppa). If I try to install a newer driver, it removes the nvidia control panel options. If I keep trying to install a driver listed, it gives an error about removing something then installs the driver any way and I get panel options back. But now that I've got panel options back (anti aliasing, yada yada, all that)... I get a notice on startup. That I'm running in software render mode? I guess it's not a huge deal, I dunno? How can I get it to not run in software mode? Keep in mind it's a hybrid setup in this laptop... intel integrated gpu with nvidia K2100M gpu and the laptop switches between the 2 chips on the fly depending on if an app needs more gpu power or not. But the laptop always, even under win7, switches to nvidia gpu when mirroring the screen on my hdtv.

So, install newer driver = get control panel back
Go back to other/any driver = control panel gone but no more sodtware render mode message

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”