Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
magus7091
Level 1
Level 1

Screen resolution keeps resetting

Post by magus7091 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:08 pm

I'm running Linux mint 19.2 Tina on an Intel core 2 quad Q6600 powered system with Nvidia GeForce 9600 GSO graphics. Using lightdm, and I've tried both nouveau drivers and the Nvidia drivers, and I'm having the same issue repeatedly. I'm not the only one who's had this issue but I've not yet seen a solution after a lot of searching.

My screen won't properly display higher than 1360x768, but prior to a lot of tweaks, GRUB, my greeter, the default resolution on any new desktop sign-in, and the "on wake" resolution resets itself to 1920x1080. Now after some research, I've got it so once the resolution is set, I can log in and out, restart the computer, etc, and it stays. But, to even get it there I have had to add a line to the grub config, manually set the lightdm greeter resolution, and add a shell script to the startup in xfce for my login and cinnamon for my wife's login.

But if the power management disables the display, or if I suspend the computer while logged in, the display initializes at this incorrect default and I have to change it again with either the display settings or a shell command to xrandr.

What I need to do is figure out what keeps telling the display to revert to 1920x1080, and change that default to 1360x768, rather than resetting the resolution after the fact. Like I said, I know there are threads about this all over the internet, but I've not found one that changes the actual default, instead they all address different ways to script a resolution change in automatically on boot, at the greeter, and on login.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”