Problem with drivers graphic card Nvidia and limit resolution.

Screen resolution, 3D Acceleration, nVidia, ATI
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Rnl79
Level 1
Level 1

Problem with drivers graphic card Nvidia and limit resolution.

Post by Rnl79 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:26 am

Good morning, I'm looking at the forum and I can't find a solution to my problem, I have a PC with Linux Mint Xfce, the operating system works fine, only when I install the Nvidia proprietary drivers for the graphics card and restart, I only know You can see everything with the resolution 640x480. I have already tried several solutions following tutorials and advice from the forum, I am not very expert in Linux, and I would like to be able to install these drivers to make CUDA work, since I use Blender and when enabling the GPU, it speeds up the renderings.
I attached the information that throws the command (inxi -SMCGx) that seems to be useful and I hope and thank you if someone could help me solve the issue and enable CUDA.
Thank you :)

Code: Select all

System:
  Host: ramon-triana Kernel: 5.0.0-27-generic x86_64 bits: 64 
  compiler: gcc v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 
  Distro: Linux Mint 19.2 Tina base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: ASRock model: 960GC-GS FX serial: <root required> 
  BIOS: American Megatrends v: P1.70 date: 07/23/2015 
CPU:
  Topology: Single Core model: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ bits: 64 type: UP 
  arch: K8 rev.F+ rev: 2 L2 cache: 512 KiB 
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 svm bogomips: 4060 
  Speed: 2030 MHz min/max: N/A Core speed (MHz): 1: 2030 
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD RS780L [Radeon 3000] vendor: ASRock driver: N/A 
  bus ID: 01:05.0 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GK208B [GeForce GT 710] vendor: Micro-Star MSI 
  driver: nvidia v: 435.21 bus ID: 02:00.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau 
  unloaded: vesa resolution: 640x480~73Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 8.0 128 bits) v: 3.3 Mesa 19.0.8 
  direct render: Yes 

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Problem with drivers graphic card Nvidia and limit resolution.

Post by Pjotr » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:31 am

Try the latest kernel of the 4.15 series.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Rnl79
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rnl79 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:19 am

I tried to boot with kernel 4.15 and the problem persists, I always have to do the same, uninstall the Nvidia drivers and boot with the Nouveau driver. The graphic card is new, 2 o 3 months.I don't know if CUDA could be installed with that driver?

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:48 am

the drivers probably didn't install correctly, what do you have for these in Terminal?

dpkg -l nvidia*
dkms status
i see you have AMD and NVIDIA

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:49 am

With what kind of cable do you connect your computer to your display? Are you using adapters/converters?

Rnl79
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rnl79 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:25 am

I am using a VGA cable to connect the PC to the screen, as for the commands, I put what I get in the terminal:

- dpkg -l nvidia*

[code]Deseado=desconocido(U)/Instalar/eliminaR/Purgar/retener(H)
| Estado=No/Inst/ficheros-Conf/desempaqUetado/medio-conF/medio-inst(H)/espera-disparo(W)/pendienTe-disparo
|/ Err?=(ninguno)/requiere-Reinst (Estado,Err: mayúsc.=malo)
||/ Nombre                            Versión               Arquitectura          Descripción
+++-=================================-=====================-=====================-=======================================================================
un  nvidia-304                        <ninguna>             <ninguna>             (no hay ninguna descripción disponible)
un  nvidia-340                        <ninguna>             <ninguna>             (no hay ninguna descripción disponible)
un  nvidia-384                        <ninguna>             <ninguna>             (no hay ninguna descripción disponible)
un  nvidia-390                        <ninguna>             <ninguna>             (no hay ninguna descripción disponible)
un  nvidia-common                     <ninguna>             <ninguna>             (no hay ninguna descripción disponible)
un  nvidia-cuda-toolkit               <ninguna>             <ninguna>             (no hay ninguna descripción disponible)
un  nvidia-driver-binary              <ninguna>             <ninguna>             (no hay ninguna descripción disponible)
un  nvidia-libopencl1                 <ninguna>             <ninguna>             (no hay ninguna descripción disponible)
un  nvidia-libopencl1-dev             <ninguna>             <ninguna>             (no hay ninguna descripción disponible)
un  nvidia-opencl-icd                 <ninguna>             <ninguna>             (no hay ninguna descripción disponible)
un  nvidia-prime                      <ninguna>             <ninguna>             (no hay ninguna descripción disponible)
[/code]

- dkms status

With this command, the terminal does not answer anything.

thanks

Rnl79
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rnl79 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:26 am

Sorry, now I'm working with Nouveau driver, it's necessary this command with Nvidia drivers?

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:35 am

Rnl79 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:25 am
I am using a VGA cable to connect the PC to the screen
If possible: try another cable, because VGA is analog. Preferably HDMI. Avoid adapters/converters.

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:46 am

like Pjotr say, VGA is not good if you have old monitor and new card you also have 2 graphics, you can probably turn the onboard graphic off in bios if you want the nvidia
too often we try to solve software issues and we overlook the hardware cables. i would think by now users understood the differentce between vga, dvi, hdmi

Rnl79
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rnl79 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:16 am

I am testing with an HDMI cable, I just installed the driver that says 435 for Nvidia from the Linux driver manager, and the problem is the same.
I leave the values returned by the command that I previously mentioned and I will try to deactivate the integrated card

$ dpkg -l nvidia*

Deseado=desconocido(U)/Instalar/eliminaR/Purgar/retener(H)
| Estado=No/Inst/ficheros-Conf/desempaqUetado/medio-conF/medio-inst(H)/espera-disparo(W)/pendienTe-disparo
|/ Err?=(ninguno)/requiere-Reinst (Estado,Err: mayúsc.=malo)
||/ Nombre                   Versión           Arquitectura      Descripción
+++-========================-=================-=================-======================================================
un  nvidia-304               <ninguna>         <ninguna>         (no hay ninguna descripción disponible)
un  nvidia-340               <ninguna>         <ninguna>         (no hay ninguna descripción disponible)
un  nvidia-384               <ninguna>         <ninguna>         (no hay ninguna descripción disponible)
un  nvidia-390               <ninguna>         <ninguna>         (no hay ninguna descripción disponible)
un  nvidia-common            <ninguna>         <ninguna>         (no hay ninguna descripción disponible)
ii  nvidia-compute-utils-435 435.21-0ubuntu0~1 amd64             NVIDIA compute utilities
un  nvidia-cuda-toolkit      <ninguna>         <ninguna>         (no hay ninguna descripción disponible)
ii  nvidia-dkms-435          435.21-0ubuntu0~1 amd64             NVIDIA DKMS package
un  nvidia-dkms-kernel       <ninguna>         <ninguna>         (no hay ninguna descripción disponible)
ii  nvidia-driver-435        435.21-0ubuntu0~1 amd64             NVIDIA driver metapackage
un  nvidia-driver-binary     <ninguna>         <ninguna>         (no hay ninguna descripción disponible)
un  nvidia-kernel-common     <ninguna>         <ninguna>         (no hay ninguna descripción disponible)
ii  nvidia-kernel-common-435 435.21-0ubuntu0~1 amd64             Shared files used with the kernel module
un  nvidia-kernel-source     <ninguna>         <ninguna>         (no hay ninguna descripción disponible)
ii  nvidia-kernel-source-435 435.21-0ubuntu0~1 amd64             NVIDIA kernel source package
un  nvidia-libopencl1        <ninguna>         <ninguna>         (no hay ninguna descripción disponible)
un  nvidia-libopencl1-dev    <ninguna>         <ninguna>         (no hay ninguna descripción disponible)
un  nvidia-opencl-icd        <ninguna>         <ninguna>         (no hay ninguna descripción disponible)
un  nvidia-persistenced      <ninguna>         <ninguna>         (no hay ninguna descripción disponible)
ii  nvidia-prime             0.8.8.2           all               Tools to enable NVIDIA's Prime
ii  nvidia-settings          418.56-0ubuntu0~g amd64             Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
un  nvidia-settings-binary   <ninguna>         <ninguna>         (no hay ninguna descripción disponible)
un  nvidia-smi               <ninguna>         <ninguna>         (no hay ninguna descripción disponible)
un  nvidia-utils             <ninguna>         <ninguna>         (no hay ninguna descripción disponible)
ii  nvidia-utils-435         435.21-0ubuntu0~1 amd64             NVIDIA driver support binaries
and the other

$ dkms status

nvidia, 435.21, 5.0.0-27-generic, x86_64: installed

Rnl79
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rnl79 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:33 am

Can anyone help me? Everything I've tried doesn't work.
thanks

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”